Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OVERDRIVE questions (most likely dumb)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Nux
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OVERDRIVE questions (most likely dumb)

Hey everyone. I'm wondering what your average rpm reads, cruising on a flat highway doing 60mph?

I understand the discovery's are geared a bit shorter, but I can't hear it shifting into OD (4th). I am assuming it's a 4spd in the automatics.
Mind you, it shifts so damn smoothly and quietly. Although take off from a stand still seems almost like the engine is racing higher in the rpms than what i'm used to. My ball-less underpowered 91 blazer felt much more positive at take off until about 30mph.

BTW, I have a 99 DiscoII
Thanks for your input.
Daniel

Old 10-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Nux
Three Wheeling
Default RE: OVERDRIVE questions (most likely dumb)

Assuming I'm not the only one with a tachometer...

Old 10-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't help ya there, i got a freelander, and dad has a LR3

Old 10-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Drifting

I will watch mine on our road trip today, but I can give you some additional info. Unlike most Suv that are really cars that can go a little off road, rover designs these the opposite way. They are wheelers that do well on the road. with that in mind, the gearing is designed so that if you really want to accelerate, you have to downshift your tranny into 3rd to pass... It also has a mash it function where if you rapidly depress the accelerator all the way to the floor, it will downshift but it is not as effective as doing it yourself. If you really explore your gear possibilities ( high/low/lock/and 1,2,3 D) you will truely see the capabilities of this setup. You can climb a tree! The design is mostly due to the fact that a human can make better choices than any auto trans - esp for off roading. That is why most serious wheelers are manual trans. Rover designed this veh to allow the benifits of an auto for city driving yet still allow outstanding management of the gears by the human. I hope this helps. bottom line is downshift to accelerate rapidly or to pass on highway. It is not a powerhouse on acceleration, but that is not what it was made to do.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:19 PM
4wd Low

My 2001 disco is at a little over 2000 rpm at 60mph.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Leo
4wd Low

copy that brian. My disco 00 is just over 2000 rpms when i go 60 on the hwys.

btw.. great tip wild.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:43 AM
Nux
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys. Just wanted to confirm other peoples readings. I thought maybe I had a slippage issue, but then learned that the discoII will actually permit slippage (non fully locked) via the torque converter when the tranny fluid temperature is not at optimal temps. I hate being so blind without a shop manual. If I had one, I could have done the math, lol. Should be in any day now. Thanks guys.

Wildhorses, thank you for the introduction of the wonderful world of suv's. Although I have been playing in the mud/streets with all kinds of modified off road vehicles (and heavily tuned custom drag cars) for many years now. I'm sure the general run down will be a great read for some people. My reason for getting the a DiscoII was for the shear fact that this is a very capable machine designed the way I would have designed it. With performance/mechanical engineering in my blood, I knew I needed to upgrade to the almighty land rover.

I do dislike the fact that it's such a stunningly beautiful machine that it turns too many heads. (oxymoron?) I like the "covert look", and that's difficult with the Land Rover.

Daniel