Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 03:48 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redrover75
Maybe bypass the thermostat you have, or drill a couple holes in the old one to see if that chages anything. The "OEM" thermostats are notorious for being defective, truely OEM is the best bet, but I would bypass it all together at this point. eliinate that as your problem. If you still have the old one, drill some holes in it and see if that changes anything.
I actually drilled out my old thermostat yesterday. I'm planning on installing later this evening or tomorrow. I've bought 2 different thermostats. One was oem (the one currently installed) and the other was from lucky8. I tested the lucky 8 one and it opened at 180° so that wasn't the original reason for the overheating.
thanks for the help. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 03-12-2023, 04:56 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

My personal bet is head gasket very hard hoses are generally over pressure, BUT try this as well run with your expansion tank cap completely loose as bad cap can cause over pressure.

Old 03-12-2023, 05:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 439 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
My personal bet is head gasket very hard hoses are generally over pressure, BUT try this as well run with your expansion tank cap completely loose as bad cap can cause over pressure.

agree...since OP provided more history of hard and hot hoses....sausage links? waterfall sound? head gaskets even been done?

Old 03-12-2023, 05:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by D2needs
I actually drilled out my old thermostat yesterday. I'm planning on installing later this evening or tomorrow. I've bought 2 different thermostats. One was oem (the one currently installed) and the other was from lucky8. I tested the lucky 8 one and it opened at 180° so that wasn't the original reason for the overheating.
thanks for the help. I'll let you know what happens.
This is incorrect. 100% your issue is the thermostat. Boiling it tells you nothing. Drilling it out does nothing. The factory thermostat design has a bypass valve in it. When the thermostat opens the bypass valve is supposed to close, they don't. It is literally impossible for a D2 to overheat on level ground if it is full of coolant and the coolant is going through the radiator. Even with a bad head gasket. The only possible reason for overheating is a plugged radiator or bad thermostat. You thermostat bypass valve is not closing and all the coolant is bypassing the radiator.

If you want to test it, get rid of the thermostat. Connect the top radiator hose directly to the manifold outlet pipe, put a hose repair kit splice in the bottom hoses were the factory thermostat goes, the kit is $5 at Autozone. It's plastic, so not the best long term but will do for a test.

The following 2 users liked this post by Extinct:
ahab (03-12-2023), Richard Gallant (03-12-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 05:23 PM
Overlanding

Maybe bypass the thermostat you have, or drill a couple holes in the old one to see if that chages anything. The "OEM" thermostats are notorious for being defective, truely OEM is the best bet, but I would bypass it all together at this point. eliinate that as your problem. If you still have the old one, drill some holes in it and see if that changes anything.
Ok, I checked the serpentine belt and it's correct. Installed a new aux fan and that is working now so that's good but obviously had no effect on the overheating. I tested the original 180° thermostat in a pot of boiling water and it opens. I drilled out the old 'original' thermostat but haven't installed it yet.

I took the rover for a spin to see if aux fan was working and after checked the hoses....I noticed that all were too hot to touch except for the lower radiator hose. It was actually cool to the touch. Weird. Does that point to a thermostat that isn't opening? What are your thoughts?

Old 03-13-2023, 05:23 PM
Overlanding

Ok, I checked the serpentine belt and it's correct. Installed a new aux fan and that is working now so that's good but obviously had no effect on the overheating. I tested the original 180° thermostat in a pot of boiling water and it opens. I drilled out the old 'original' thermostat but haven't installed it yet.

I took the rover for a spin to see if aux fan was working and after checked the hoses....I noticed that all were too hot to touch except for the lower radiator hose. It was actually cool to the touch. Weird. Does that point to a thermostat that isn't opening? What are your thoughts?

Old 03-13-2023, 05:52 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by XRAD
agree...since OP provided more history of hard and hot hoses....sausage links? waterfall sound? head gaskets even been done?
The hoses do look like sausage links. I don't hear waterfall sounds. The head gasket has not been done to my knowledge.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:21 PM
Camel Trophy

Cool to the touch lower radiator hose means that coolant is not going through the radiator, just like I said. Two possible causes:

1. Plugged radiator (very rare).

2. Bad thermostat (very common) where the coolant is bypassing the radiator.

The following users liked this post:
D2needs (03-23-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 06:23 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Extinct
Cool to the touch lower radiator hose means that coolant is not going through the radiator, just like I said. Two possible causes:

1. Plugged radiator (very rare).

2. Bad thermostat (very common) where the coolant is bypassing the radiator.
My radiator is brand new so I'll replace the thermostat again and see if that fixes it.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by D2needs
My radiator is brand new so I'll replace the thermostat again and see if that fixes it.
Instead of wasting money on oem thermostat designs just do an inline mod (sticky at the top of the forum). However, if you are insistent on the OEM design I have three brand new I am happy to send you for free if you pay shipping. I am never going to use them (because they never work reliably and cause things like blown hg, but whatever).

The following users liked this post:
D2needs (03-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Overheating