Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating 2000 Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Overheating 2000 Disco 2

Overheating Disco 2 I refer to it as my personal POS

Can anyone tell me how to check my waterpump? My disco 2 just started overheating, I have a thermostat and will change that to be sure.

this will be the last repair I ever make on this Disco (or any other). These units simply have too many issues mostly small but they never end!! I enjoy working on vehicles and doing the maintenance on all my vehicles but these Landrover are just horrible and a never ending pit of money!!
American made trucks and Jeeps this day forward!!

Old 05-20-2019, 02:40 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Well what changed ?
  • Was it running fine before based on an ultragauge or ODB temp monitor - the dash gauge, as with all new vehicles is useless only climbs after a set point is reached usually too late
  • any misfires
  • have you had to top up the reservoir
  • any coolant leaks that you can see
  • is your oil fine
  • And new squealing or other noises that would indicate a dead bearing
And as to buy american, 15 to 16 year old american trucks all have issues too - it is a used vehicle you get the good with the bad maintenance is just a fact of life. Or as many old guys have said you pay the bank or you pay the shop there is only a short time frame you you drive a vehicle and do nothing to it

Old 05-20-2019, 06:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

What state are you in?

Old 05-20-2019, 06:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Where are you located, I buy peoples personal POS LR's all the time.

Now, on to the help. 8 out of 10 times it is a stuck thermostat. Water pumps never directly cause overheating. They can leak, causing low coolant, and that will eventually cause overheating.

Instead of bitching, maybe you shoudl try some logical troubleshooting. Use a 5 why question system and is/is not.

Is it overheating at idle? or only when driving?

At idle - stuck thermostat.

Only when driving - Clogged radiator.

Replaced that/those - a blown hg is caused by overheating, not the other way around, but once blown if it is bad enough it can put compression gases in the coolant and cause additional problems.

BTW, how bad did you overheat it - barely, it shoudl be ok. Buried the gauge for 5+ minutes? Congratulations, you have a blown hg now.

Good luck.

Autozone/advance sells a hose repair kit for $5. Replace the thermostat with the center bushing, throw away the T and put the top radiator hose directly to the intake manifold. If that works do the bypass thermostat mod. Google it.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:56 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

I think we lost another rover soul and now one more jeeper

Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 PM
4wd Low

Once I have this overheating issue sorted out it will be placed on Craigslist asap. These vehicles are just simply too expensive to buy parts for and man does a a person need a lot of parts to stay ahead of the problems!!
2000 Discovery 2 - low mileage 106,000 miles (low for Most vehicles), no rust and will be for sale soon-!!

thanks to those who provided me with assistance.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooseman
Once I have this overheating issue sorted out it will be placed on Craigslist asap. These vehicles are just simply too expensive to buy parts for and man does a a person need a lot of parts to stay ahead of the problems!!
2000 Discovery 2 - low mileage 106,000 miles (low for Most vehicles), no rust and will be for sale soon-!!

I feel your pain. I love mine, I really do. This last time did it in for me. At 59 years old, I am just too old to be struggling with tight spaces and mysterious misfire codes. I have a 68 Bronco, 85 Jeep Scrambler, and 72 F100 4x4 that need my attention. All 3 are worth more than a good running D2 and I can work on them easier and cheaper. No sensors to diagnose. It is time for someone younger to take over.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

There are so many things I could say to the OP but it’s just not worth it lol (especially about Heeps..)

Old 05-21-2019, 05:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooseman

Hell, don't wait, just post it now on the forums, we will buy it.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:15 PM
4wd Low
Default Almost

Cant figure out why this POS is still overheating.

Fan works perfect

Water pump pumping

New thermostat

4 days of driving after installing new thermostat and overheating again!!!!

Quick Reply: Overheating 2000 Disco 2