Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overheating!!!

Alright, here goes. I have a 2001 Disco II. It has 90k miles on it. I have been having problems with it running hot while i am driving. I read a few of the other posts on here and seen that there are other people that had bad thermostats. So i ordered on online and replaced it today. It wasnt to had. The hoses are good, no cracks or anything. I had a leak before on the top of the thermostat for the hose going to the water pump. After replacing the thermostat i let the Rover run for awhile to check if there were any leaks and there is not. The old thermostat i could see the plastic is coming apart. it is brittle on the ends where the hoses connect and inside. i stuck a screw driver in it and the whole inside piece of plastic broke off. Anyway, I drove the rover today about 20 miles and it started overheating again. UGH!!!! i dont know what else to do. I checked again and there are still no leaks. I also refilled the fluid after i got everything back together. Anyone have any advice on what i should check next??

Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Are you in denial, or just hoping it is not a head gasket?
Did you bleed the coolant system after installing the new t/stat, did you look at the inside of the coolant cap for the same wear?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Drifting

I did replaced the coolant cap awhile ago cause it was badly worn. I think that before we purchased the Rover that the dealer had replace the head gasket but i have to go back and look at the paperwork to make sure that is what it was.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Drifting

No, i did not bleed out the line. didnt even think of it. How do i do that?

I downloaded the RAVE manual and it gives me step by step instructions so i will have to bleed the system tomorrow. hopefully this fixes the problem.

Last edited by sorusty; 01-13-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

James, PM me your tele number and I'll walk you thru a few things to do/check.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Drifting
Default antifreeze

does the type of antifreeze i put into the disco matter? i have a 2001 disco II, i read online that i should be using anti freeze with the Dex-Cool?? my disco has been overheating, i replaced the Thermostat, the i have bleed the coolant system, i replaced a broken return line from the radiator to the overflow tank, and each time it i do something the Discovery overheats faster than it did before i did anything. i think there is mostly water in my system right now, tomorrow i am going to drain it and refill it with antifreeze but i just want to make sure i get the right stuff.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It came with Dex-Cool, if thats whats in there you must stick with it.
You cannot mix Dex-Cool with anything else, it will turn to a thick goo, kinda like a paint stripper kinda goo.
If you completely drain and flush the system you can use any engine coolant you want.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI Dexcool is the orange one. read over the HOW TO section on comon procedures and consult the RAVE when you cant find an answer. When all else fails search the forum, and then when that doesnt work post a question.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Drifting

does anyone know anything about a coolant temp sensor? it is number 33 on this diagram...

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-3...g-heating.aspx

should i change it out and how hard is it to change?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It takes about 5 min to replace the coolant temp sensor.

Quick Reply: Overheating!!!