Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating horror

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:42 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry overheating horror

Ok first off this car is a wonderful vehicle, of only it had a better engine.

Now for my issue.

Car has 140,xxx miles on it. drove it for a year and then one day it overheated. So I brought it to my local shop, were they said, it was a thermostat and a hose. spent $400!!!!!!! I was not very smart.

So drove it for about idk 15 miles home and guess what overheated.

So then found a better shop that specialized in land rovers and they told me it was a clogged radiator. So spent $150 and got radiator cored out.

from then on for about a month it ran fine. until one day boom, overheated.

So I bring it back to last shop and they said they had no idea what the problem was. Nice right?

Soooo they had a land rover technician come to there shop to work on it and he said it was probably the radiator or the water pump.

Had a brand new radiator put into it for around $600.

Ran great for another 2 weeks. I let my sister drive it and she came home with it overheating and coolant pouring out of the hose that has like 3 hoses coming out of it. it also had coolant on the radiator although idk if that was just from it overheating and splashing everywhere due to the fan? and I have reason to believe it may be the water pump.

Now there is no coolant in engine on dipstick form what i can tell. so i dont think it is a head gasket, although i heard that the gasket can crack and exhaust from engine can cause overheating. my suspicion towards waterpump is due to it idles in driveway for hours without overheating. BUT as soon as you drive it, it overheats. Now also it wont overheat if HEAT in car is on and there is a crap ton of coolant.

Any suggestions?????????????

Torn between selling as is, having mechanic neighbor tear it down to block and fix it, parting it, or just blowing it up and watching it go up in flames.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?????????????

Old 04-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If it does not heat up at idle but heats up when revved it is probabaly a bad water pump.
The impeller can slip on its shaft at higher speeds and not push enough coolant through to keep the engine cool.

It is spewing coolant everywhere because it is boiling over.
Keep it up and you will be buying a new engine.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You need to quit spending all this money in shops that won't guarantee there diagnosis and repairs.
You won't get much for a Disco with a shot engine, I would suggest you think smart shop your repair and make sure they know what they are doing.
If you have any questions on their estimates or finds, get back to us.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i know how you feel..

I Ifeel like that alot as i have owned land for over 10 years now. For just under $5,000.00 you could rebuild better than the idiots who built your engine that would last you ten years. It's only the drive train ..well mostly, that the biggest Fuc^%king bunch of idiots in the solor system built that drive's you to want to blow things up. Just rebuild it right and not like the morons that actually Fu&^cked it up the first time. You will be good to go.

Good luck, Chris

Sorry, but you really need a screwed up personallity to own a land rover... So much pain and misery....for so little joy.. We must be wacked..

Last edited by vandev; 04-30-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Three Wheeling

I had the EXACT same problem (though it is STILL not resolved) and we replaced the water pump as well.

Found out while the old water pump has seen it's day - it didn't resolve the problem.

I have literally tried to fix EVERYTHING related to the coolant system and now I have to replace the head gaskets and I am praying that this thing is up an running today....

We shall see...

Old 05-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was someone else on here that was having the same problem. There's a thread around here somewhere on it, but i can't seem to find it. Anywho, the only thing that solved his problem was taking a stock thermostat, and wedging it open permanently. I'm not sure how great that is for your vehicle, but supposidly it worked for him.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear

thanks guys, for all your information. i am at a decision making point if it is worth trying to fix or not. if it isnt the water pump and it is a head gasket i could be into the thousands for repairs. also what if the block is cracked..... so i hate to say it but i think selling as is for like 2500 is a good idea. unless a lot of you want parts, i will part it out to you if i can get enough people to buy stuff. idk what to do anymore this car is a complete POS and i dont think anyone on this site should even consider keeping theres. i mean for the amount of money you put into it for it just to drive is dumb. and aluminum heads???/ this thing sucks. british cant make gaskets to save their life, and for a ounce owned by ford vehicle, well found on road dead, its fixed or repaired daily, and backwards dont rely on ford.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by urslow4711
thanks guys, for all your information. i am at a decision making point if it is worth trying to fix or not. if it isnt the water pump and it is a head gasket i could be into the thousands for repairs. also what if the block is cracked..... so i hate to say it but i think selling as is for like 2500 is a good idea. unless a lot of you want parts, i will part it out to you if i can get enough people to buy stuff. idk what to do anymore this car is a complete POS and i dont think anyone on this site should even consider keeping theres. i mean for the amount of money you put into it for it just to drive is dumb. and aluminum heads???/ this thing sucks. british cant make gaskets to save their life, and for a ounce owned by ford vehicle, well found on road dead, its fixed or repaired daily, and backwards dont rely on ford.
Sorry for your frustration 4711. I could not imagine owning one of these things if I could not wrench on it myself. It is a 4th vehicle for me and that is about where it belongs.

My wife always wanted one but I flat out refused. I would not let her drive something so undependable. As it is, she has a Honda van, I have a couple Audi's and I just needed something to go off-road so my son and I can take our ATV's out.

I bought mine for $1500 and am immediately replacing everything you mentioned as it overheated right after I picked it up. Head gaskets, radiator, water pump, thermostat, all hoses... Hopefully I will have a decent truck after all this - about $1000 in parts and a few bloody knuckles...

A tip - if she overheats while driving it - turn the heat on full blast. That's how I got my Disco home. The heater core can dissipate enough heat to keep it cooled down in some cases.

Also, Ford had little to do with this truck. British Leyland bought the rights to a 1960's all aluminum Buick V8 and this is what is basically in your LR. A large percentage of cars have aluminum heads today although there are just a few with aluminum blocks. In any case, its just a combination of poorly engineered systems and engine modifications that has caused the issues with reliability. It ain't no Honda...

Old 05-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by urslow4711
... so i hate to say it but i think selling as is for like 2500 is a good idea. unless a lot of you want parts, i will part it out to you if i can get enough people to buy stuff. idk what to do anymore this car is a complete POS and i dont think anyone on this site should even consider keeping theres..

It sounds like you don't have a clue, spending all that money on all those small repairs... Not very handy with tools huh.

What year is it? How many miles on it? 2500 as is? What have you been smoking?

You would be lucky to get a grand as is!!!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
It sounds like you don't have a clue, spending all that money on all those small repairs... Not very handy with tools huh.

What year is it? How many miles on it? 2500 as is? What have you been smoking?

You would be lucky to get a grand as is!!!
Dude - why so harsh? 4711 is in enough pain - why not offer some guidance or understanding?

You need time, patience and another vehicle to own one of these beasts (IMO) and if any of those are missing, you are SOL. Sometimes this is not realized until you are already into too far.

Quick Reply: overheating horror