Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating with Ice COLD radiator!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Overheating with Ice COLD radiator!!

This a continuance of my previous post.... How can my Disco be overheating and steaming from the reservoir cap and the radiator be ICE COLD?? I thought it was a blocked thermostat so I ordered a new one from Atlantic/Brit and for the time being I destroyed the guts of my thermostat so it is jammed in the open position so no water flow is restricted.. I am still overheating and not getting heat from the vents. I know the water pump is working because I can take the bleeder screw off from the top of the radiator lines and it shoots a stream of water 2 feet into the air..

It just doesn't make any sense!!!! I have water/coolant, I have unrestricted circulation and still it heats up.. And why can't I get heat from the vents inside the truck.. I have rammed water hoses into ever orfice in the engine to for out air and still I think I may have an air pocket in the heater core??

Other than taking the bleed screw off and running a water hose into the reservoir until the air is removed, is there another way to bleed the system?? How can I get the air out of the heater core if that's the problem??

Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

what year? Start your truck and run the heater on full hot. Since the t-stat is open, you won't have to wait for a warm up, so fill the radiator with the bleed screw open.

You should be able to fiill the radiator through the bleed screw and once the truck is started, the level should drop.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Mudding

Is the lower radiator hose cool as well?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes the lower radiator hose is cold to...

It's an 04 Disco II with 100k

Old 02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

do a search for the D2 bleeding procedure. It needs to be running when you do it...

Either you have an air pocket in your system, your water pump is not working, or your radiator is completely clogged.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Clogged radiator.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Rock Crawling

I can put the water hose into the top inlet of the radiator with the bottom hose disconnected as well and crank the hose wide open and it shoots out the bottom unrestricted and free of contaminants and dirt...??

Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How'd you get to this point?
did you do work on it? or did this just start out of the blue?

serpentine belt misrouted?

as long as you've gutted you t-stat, fill the rad w/water, engine running, leave the top hose off - see if the water pump is pumping sufficiently.

rev the engine & If the pump is flowing LOTS, then the rad is restricted or you've got gobs of air.

They don't move much water @ idle (they don't need to) - the 2ft into the air part tells me it's restricted.

luck,greg

Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cobbcj7
I can put the water hose into the top inlet of the radiator with the bottom hose disconnected as well and crank the hose wide open and it shoots out the bottom unrestricted and free of contaminants and dirt...??
You need to remember that there are many places for the water to travel though the radiator and while there may be enough free flow for water there may not be enough for coolant to flow freely enough to cool the engine.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
You need to remember that there are many places for the water to travel though the radiator and while there may be enough free flow for water there may not be enough for coolant to flow freely enough to cool the engine.
x2 water can flow threw the top and bottom of the rad but may not go through all the little tubes that acctually cool the water.

Quick Reply: Overheating with Ice COLD radiator!!