Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OVERHEATING!! Im losing my mind!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:52 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OVERHEATING!! Im losing my mind!!

2004 disco 138000 miles. Last week engine was overheating and saw that it looked like the water pump was bad since from what I could tell the coolant was gushing out from below water pump. So I put in new water pump this past weekend. I drove about 300 miles over the weekend with no problems. Today I was sitting in the car line waiting to pick up my son and the damn thing started overheating. Opened hood and coolant was coming out below water pump again!! As soon as I put more in it just gushes right back out! What gives???

Old 11-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you torque it to spec? Double check hose clamps? You have a positive ID that it is leaking from the same place? Give us as much detail as you can. I'd try a pressure test, maybe it's a bad gasket...

Old 11-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would suggest you stop driving that Disco before you toast the engine, if you haven't already.
Did you replace the t/stat along with the water pump, did you bleed the coolant system?

Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok.....So after stopping neumerous times to add coolant and let it cool down I made it home. (may not have been the smartest thing) I kept an eye on the temp guage and as soon as it would start getting too hot i would stop. Soooo i get home and start looking under truck, over truck , through the truck inside the damn truck and could not see where it was leaking to save my life! But on the way home everytime i filled it up i could see it pouring out from under the truck!! I started it up drove it around the block a couple of times and nothing!! Temp never moved out of the normal zone. No steam, no coolant leaking, Nothing. Just as normal as could be. To answer your questions yes I torqued the bolts. I installed new clamps. Checked them and there was no leak from hoses. No mike i did not install a new t-stat and I did not bleed the coolant system. I was not aware i had to bleed system. Also when I installed the new water pump it really didnt look or seem like it was any different than the new one I put in. So maybe it wasnt the water pump after all......
I will do a pressure test tomorrow and see what i find. Thanks for all your help!!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Not bleeding the system can definitely cause overheats. When you refill, do it from cold. Unsnap the coolant tank and hold it at least 8 inches above the upper radiator hose T/bleed screw. Then loosen the bleed screw and let gravity burp the bubbles out, re tighten the screw when you see a steady stream of coolant coming out. Then, replace the tank and top it off, retighten coolant cap.

You may have to do this a few times. The tale tell sign of air in the system is the water fall sound in the dash while driving. It's the air circulating through the heater core.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

HOW TO BLEED THE COOLANT:
Engine needs to be completely cold to do this

1) unclip plastic coolant line on side of battery box.
2) Unhook the coolant reservoir and let it sit there.
3) Completely unscrew the bleed screw.
4) hold the coolant reservoir as high as you can and start filling with coolant. (extra person helps)
5) keep filling until coolant starts coming out off the bleed screw. Let it flow out for a couple of seconds while you keep filling with coolant. Then as fast as possible (helps if you have someone to help) set aside the coolant reservoir and tighten the bleed screw while coolant is still coming out.
6) Hook the coolant reservoir back into place and clip the plastic coolant line back on the battery box.
7) Fill the coolant reservoir until it is about 1/2 inch over the fill line.
8) Put reservoir cap back on.
9) Start the truck and put both side temps to full heat and on high fan.
10) Let the truck get up to temp and let the T-Stat open a few times and then go drive it around.
11) If you hear the "Water Fall" sound under the glove box then you still have air in the system and you need to wait a few hours until it is completely cold and rebleed. (should work the first time. Good luck)

Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by seminolef1
ok.....So after stopping neumerous times to add coolant and let it cool down I made it home. (may not have been the smartest thing) I kept an eye on the temp guage and as soon as it would start getting too hot i would stop. Soooo i get home and start looking under truck, over truck , through the truck inside the damn truck and could not see where it was leaking to save my life! But on the way home everytime i filled it up i could see it pouring out from under the truck!! I started it up drove it around the block a couple of times and nothing!! Temp never moved out of the normal zone. No steam, no coolant leaking, Nothing. Just as normal as could be. To answer your questions yes I torqued the bolts. I installed new clamps. Checked them and there was no leak from hoses. No mike i did not install a new t-stat and I did not bleed the coolant system. I was not aware i had to bleed system. Also when I installed the new water pump it really didnt look or seem like it was any different than the new one I put in. So maybe it wasnt the water pump after all......
I will do a pressure test tomorrow and see what i find. Thanks for all your help!!
Every time you let it warm up then shut it down you are increasing your chance of dropping a sleeve.
Never heat up an aluminum engine then turn it off, you always turn on both heaters and if you are not loosing coolant let it idle down to a cool spot.
I would suggest you have it towed to a shop for an estimate. If you have any questions, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks like you may have a leak from your timing cover.
The water goes through it.

Make sure all those gaskets are good and the bolts are snug.

And, check your oil for water / antifreeze in it.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

And if you have to replace timing cover gasket, the kit is like $115, and would come with new front crank seal and oil pump gears. While in there check timing chain slack, and eval the water pump for upgrade (probably a good idea if high miles).