Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating at startup.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Slight change of plan. I ordered a new t-stat and it is being shipped.

BUT - LR is not heating when heater is turned on and I hear sloshing under the dash at the condenser. I am told to check the coolant level, top off and bleed the system.

Might not need a t-stat, will have to wait until I fill and bleed to see.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieb
Slight change of plan. I ordered a new t-stat and it is being shipped.

BUT - LR is not heating when heater is turned on and I hear sloshing under the dash at the condenser. I am told to check the coolant level, top off and bleed the system.

Might not need a t-stat, will have to wait until I fill and bleed to see.

No heat is usually a sign of low coolant sloshing is another sign of low coolant. Do you know how to properly bleed the cooling system?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
No heat is usually a sign of low coolant sloshing is another sign of low coolant. Do you know how to properly bleed the cooling system?
Here is what I have read on the forum:
I plan to get a bottle of Dexcool (spelling?) which is a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.
Then I will raise the expansion tank up, about 8 inches and remove the filler cap. I will start the engine and run it. I will go to the t-intersection of coolant hoses and remove the bleed screw. I will add a quart or so of coolant to the expansion tank, let it circulate and then add more until the bleed screw hole has a steady stream of coolant.

Does this sound right? I understand I am raising the expansion tank so that air does not enter the system and I am opening the bleed screw for air to escape?

This is a picture of what I think I am looking for to bleed:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...p/IMG_1100.jpg

Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is what I have read on the forum:
I plan to get a bottle of Dexcool (spelling?) which is a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.
Then I will raise the expansion tank up, about 8 inches and remove the filler cap. I will start the engine and run it. I will go to the t-intersection of coolant hoses and remove the bleed screw. I will add a quart or so of coolant to the expansion tank, let it circulate and then add more until the bleed screw hole has a steady stream of coolant.

Does this sound right? I understand I am raising the expansion tank so that air does not enter the system and I am opening the bleed screw for air to escape?

This is a picture of what I think I am looking for to bleed:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...p/IMG_1100.jpg
Yes that's correct but don't use dexcool. Get Prestone, Peak, or any other green, aluminum safe coolant.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Winching

Thank you for that piece of information. I appreciate all of the help here.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Wait wait! Do not start the engine! You only bleed it when the engine is cold! Doh! Everything was spot on.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 12-11-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Wait wait! Do not start the engine! You only bleed it when the engine is cold! Doh!
No worries, I am not doing anything until after work.Just to be sure I understand:

With a cold engine, I raise the expansion tank, remove the cap, open the bleed screw, start the engine to circulate fluid, then add fluid to a running engine to bleed it?

Or, are you saying I add fluid and open the bleed screw to a cold engine that is turned off and not running?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle

No worries, I am not doing anything until after work.Just to be sure I understand:

With a cold engine, I raise the expansion tank, remove the cap, open the bleed screw, start the engine to circulate fluid, then add fluid to a running engine to bleed it?

Or, are you saying I add fluid and open the bleed screw to a cold engine that is turned off and not running?
Yes the engine does not need to be running at any point. Hold the expansion tank above the bleed screw with the cap off. Loosen bleed screw. You will hear it burp. Add coolant while the tank is elevated. Stop when you see a steady stream of coolant, retighten the screw, put the expansion back in place. Then top off with coolant.

What kind of coolant are you currently running? Is it red/orange? If so that's dexcool, either flush the cooling the system out or add more dexcool. Several here on the forums have reported that mixing dexcool with green coolant can cause problems. Either go ahead and flush the system now or wait until you are ready to do so.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Yes the engine does not need to be running at any point. Hold the expansion tank above the bleed screw with the cap off. Loosen bleed screw. You will hear it burp. Add coolant while the tank is elevated. Stop when you see a steady stream of coolant, retighten the screw, put the expansion back in place. Then top off with coolant.

What kind of coolant are you currently running? Is it red/orange? If so that's dexcool, either flush the cooling the system out or add more dexcool. Several here on the forums have reported that mixing dexcool with green coolant can cause problem. Either go ahead and flush the system now or wait until you are ready to do so.

Thanks! I did not know this was done with the engine off. Also, it is my fiancee's LR, not mine. I just work on it. :-)

I'll have to check the fluid to see what color it is.

Thanks again!
jamie

Last edited by jamieb; 12-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You might want to stop adding anything but water for now and only bleed the engine when stone cold and "NOT" running. The reason for the water is you have a leak so stop throw coolant at it cause you have a leak and will at some point have to open up the system to fix it, loosing all you coolant.
I would not install the t/stat till you have the coolant leak resolved.
I would also consider you send me your number so I can walk you thru the proper steps before you bury yourself in new parts and still over heat your engine.

Quick Reply: Overheating at startup.