Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0171 and P0174 -- Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0171 and P0174 -- Disco II

I have cleaned my MAF sensor and checked what I can locate for vaccum lines. I just changed my air filter too. I have not changed my fuel filter since I bought this at 68k, now with 115k. I am not sure where my fuel filter even is? Before I drop the $130 on a new MAF sensor, I figured I would check one last time. Can anybody give me a rough idea of where to look for vaccum leaks after the MAF sensor that would cause this code? Could it be a fuel filter, or should I just get the MAF sensor and carry on?

Please let me know.
Thank you.
CDT

Old 07-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: P0171 and P0174 -- Disco II

ORIGINAL: rirover

I have cleaned my MAF sensor and checked what I can locate for vaccum lines. I just changed my air filter too. I have not changed my fuel filter since I bought this at 68k, now with 115k. I am not sure where my fuel filter even is? Before I drop the $130 on a new MAF sensor, I figured I would check one last time. Can anybody give me a rough idea of where to look for vaccum leaks after the MAF sensor that would cause this code? Could it be a fuel filter, or should I just get the MAF sensor and carry on?

Please let me know.
Thank you.
CDT

D2's don't have fuel filters.
Bosh MAF's don't clean very well, I tried a couple of time with some very expensive electronic cleaner and only got a little improvement. There are no vaccum lines that will effect the MAF sensor, their only down fall is from contamination, oil, dirt and residue. What exactly is your truck doing wrong, usually if it is the MAF, you loose power and MPG, transmission has feels like it is having shifting problems in 3rd. and 4th. and your exhaust can smell rotten.
Mike

The following users liked this post:
Keiths5n10 (03-08-2021)
Old 07-05-2006, 03:27 AM
Overlanding

Thank's Mike. No wonder I cant find the fuel filter.
Regarding the MAF....aside from 14-16mpg (which I think is normal?) I dont notice any performance lags. The occasional ping upon acceleration, but I chaulk that up to the 89 octane gas that I run. Which brings up another question....is it bad if I dont run Premium in her whilst prices are a 3.29/gallon? Anyway, my OBDII code reader keeps pulling those codes when my Service Engine Light comes on. When I look them up they say that Bank 1 and 2 are running lean. When I Google the codes, I get a bunch of threads pointing to the "MAF sensor or another vaccum leak downstream from the sensor"

What is your opinion?

Old 07-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: rirover

Thank's Mike. No wonder I cant find the fuel filter.
Regarding the MAF....aside from 14-16mpg (which I think is normal?) I dont notice any performance lags. The occasional ping upon acceleration, but I chaulk that up to the 89 octane gas that I run. Which brings up another question....is it bad if I dont run Premium in her whilst prices are a 3.29/gallon? Anyway, my OBDII code reader keeps pulling those codes when my Service Engine Light comes on. When I look them up they say that Bank 1 and 2 are running lean. When I Google the codes, I get a bunch of threads pointing to the "MAF sensor or another vaccum leak downstream from the sensor"

What is your opinion?
14 to 16MPG is pretty good on 89 octane, I have run that also when I had to but I did find that I lost a good mile per gallon so I just stay with the 91 octane. Then last month, I moved to Colorado and gas here is about $,70 a gallon cheaper.
If those are the only 2 codes you are getting, I would hold off on the Maf, you would have a transmission code for 4th. gear if the Maf were the issue.
I am not sure where to go with this. You might want to go to the Rover Repair Forum and post this question to Tony, one of the 2 owners of the site and their repair shop, they are great people to work with.
Mike

Old 07-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Overlanding

Now that you mention it....I have gotten that 4th Gear Ratio error. I was concerned about my tranny.....and on that particular trip I got 17.5 MPG! I thought it was a good problem. (this was over Memorial Day) I reset my light with my Code Reader, and a week later, the same code came back. I have not seen the 4th Gear code in a couple weeks, but the Lean Fuel Bank error has been pretty consistent. I will check with the resources you mention. Thanks again.