Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0305 Misfire after rain or carwash

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0305 Misfire after rain or carwash

I am looking for any thoughts on this.... I have new 8mm Kingsbourne wires and plugs. I am getting a misfire in cylinder 5 after its sits overnight and it rains or a carwash. I have checked wire connections to coil and plug. They seem solid. Wire looks like it is good shape. Fixed crack in cowl, in case anything is running onto coil from above.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't clear up after running a while. It takes a day or two, before it disappears.
Could this be the coil?
Thanks for any input!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

You could try swapping the wire with one of the others of the same length and see if the misfire follows.

Originally Posted by jgyorkii
I am looking for any thoughts on this.... I have new 8mm Kingsbourne wires and plugs. I am getting a misfire in cylinder 5 after its sits overnight and it rains or a carwash. I have checked wire connections to coil and plug. They seem solid. Wire looks like it is good shape. Fixed crack in cowl, in case anything is running onto coil from above.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't clear up after running a while. It takes a day or two, before it disappears.
Could this be the coil?
Thanks for any input!

Old 05-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Drifting

Well, today I pulled the 5 wire and replaced with a new 5 wire from Kingsbourne. Also a new spark plug. Fired up, sounds a little better.... Now I drive it around the block and start to gun it, batt light flashes, now throwing multiple misfire code and P0308, It is acting worse that when I had the P0305. I have checked 8 plug and wire... looks good.
Should I replace Coils?

Any thoughts would be helpful

Old 05-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

What's the state of the plugs and wires as a whole? Is it worth replacing them all, to be sure you are starting from a good place there?

I don't consider that throwing parts at a car. I always have to know the plugs and wires are good.

Find the coil diagram and see if the suspect misfires are on the same coil.

Last edited by cappedup; 05-24-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Drifting

New Kingsbourne Wires (8mm) and NGK plugs done in Feb.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So counting out that you might not have 'clicked' the new ones into place quite properly.... which I doubt.... 5 and 8 are on the same coil. Cheapest way to check one coil is to swap it with the other one, but with the work involved in getting to it, you might decide that just getting two new ones is easiest.

There will be other sneaky methods to narrow down the issue, but they are slipping my mind right now.

I'd maybe continue the wire swapping, see where the misfire goes next.

Oh, lift the lid and watch what's going on at night. In darkness you might see some arcing which indicates other issues.

And check that the wires arnt laying on the SAI hot pipes, if you have that. I found my 8mm wires didn't clip into the little black plastic clips so well, one came out, burnt through on the SAI pipe and caused a misfire.

That's about all I got, apart from checking battery wires are tight, that an throw odd codes sometimes.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Drifting

Well, I was fortunate and my local Oreilly's had new coils for $63. Picked up at 630... Pulled wires and coils off, traded coils out and rerouted wires. Never took off the IM. It helped removing the SAI pipe. It was a little frustrating as I have big paws and arms. Just test drove, the Cannibal v8 is back to life! It runs so strong, no misfires on my 10 minute test drive and 5 minute idle in drive way. Excited to have these misfires taken care of and have the disco running strong! (until the next time the ultra gauge throws me a code)
thanks for ideas and as always, I appreciate the forum, for all the guidance and information to search through.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yay. Love it when a plan comes together.