Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0455 and gas caps

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0455 and gas caps

I have had a problem with the SES lite coming on and when I read the code it is P0455. I was able to find out that this code had been worked on previous to my purchasing the vehicle. If you clear the code it was back again within a few hours. I called the Land rover dealership here in Oklahoma City and they offered to smoke test the system for free since it had been looked at before. They smoke tested the system and found no problems. They did however take a very fine piece of sand paper to the threads on my gas cap. They said that my threads had some barbs on them that they thought was keeping it from reaching the correct spot before feeling tight. I was skeptable as I had heard that gas caps cannot cause the large evap leaks. Since picking it up over a weak ago no SES light. Probably around 450 miles driven.

So anyway I am just throwing that out just incase other people have similier problems.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

455 is a gross evap leak, and rarely the gas cap. Down load a free copy of a Rave Cd, complete shop manual, then go to the evap section read more in detail as to what to sheck and test to make it stop leaking.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
455 is a gross evap leak, and rarely the gas cap. Down load a free copy of a Rave Cd, complete shop manual, then go to the evap section read more in detail as to what to sheck and test to make it stop leaking.
Actually I have the Rave already. I have used it to help me replace my radiator, window regulator, and some blown fuses. I would have used it for this as well but since the dealership offered to smoke test it for free I went with that. Also for some reason workign on the fuel system seems scarier to me then say replacing the radiator. Am I being paranoid?

As an update to the issue after around 640 miles the light did come back on. Kinda cruel actually as I had little faith in that being the issue at first but since it did not come back on almost immedtaily like before I started to hope that I lucked out. Anyway same code p0455. I did some more research and the dealership replced the evap vent yoke in March of 08. Then on Feb 10th 09 vent valve was replaced by dealership as well. The dealership said to bring it back in and they will smoke test it again and review the codes. No charge for the smaike test. Any reason not to have them do that?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Nope, take it in and see what they say.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Mudding

same issue with mine, had that code for over two yrs. the light for that code only came on when the tank was half empty, this is when the ecu runs the evap system moniters. i smoke tested several times and ther was for sure no leak. so i had found on another forum a guy tried a hyundai evap purge solenoid and tried ot for myself. they both tested within 3 ohms of each other but oddly when i listened to the factory purge valve with a stethescope if was very irractic at idle, threw the hyundai valve on and it was a very constant tick. i have ran the tank nearly dry several times now and its so awesome to not have the light staring at me. maybe it will work for you, also it costs like 50 bucks less than the oem LR part.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Mudding

Interesting RyanD2. Not sure I totsally understand but I am open to all ideas. Light came back on Sunday. Unfortunatly I was not able to get iut back to the dealership until Wednesday. Tehy again smoke tested it and found nothing wrong. Said I did not get it in fast enough. Want it in same day SES comes on. It was still on when I took it in but I guess they need it sooner. Anyweay They tested "Everything" and feel confident that there is no leak. They said that their best guess right now is the pressure valve in the fuel pump. They said it would be a thousend dollars to replace the fuel pump. He then went on to say that I shoudl drive it again and wait for the light to coem nback on and get it in sooner so they can look at it again since that is so much money.

Any thoughts?????

Old 05-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Mudding

If the fuel pump is the culprit I will need to find a cheaper alternative. I suppose I am willing to give it a try. Would you guys say that replacing the fuel pump is harder or easier then replacing the radiator. I was able to do that repair myself.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Mudding

pm me and when i get back from school today ill find the part number i used that took care of the issue for me.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by vishrb
If the fuel pump is the culprit I will need to find a cheaper alternative. I suppose I am willing to give it a try. Would you guys say that replacing the fuel pump is harder or easier then replacing the radiator. I was able to do that repair myself.
Fuel pump is not the cause so don't even go there.

Quick Reply: P0455 and gas caps