Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0455 and gas caps

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that is good to know Disco Mike. So I have a suggestion by ryanD2. He is going to send me some info as you can see from previos posts. I also have the suggestion by Landrover to get it to them withen hours of the light coming back on so that they can see the code as a current code. Also I misspoke it was the pressure sensor that they said was the best guess.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Mudding

Evap purge solenoid, rite behind throttle body above valve cover. Hyundai PN 28910-22040 dealer sells for about 45-50 bucks, ebay i've seen around 30. The land rover part is rite at 100 bucks. easy to install and worked great for me. Again i smoke tested the system a few times and found absolutly no leaks. The ecu runs the evap moniters when the tank is rite at half full, to lower. Thats why it will go out and then coem back, try to see if your truck did as mine. Half tank or less, a few miles on highway at 55mph plus then when breaking the light came on like clockwork. Worth a shot. shout back if i can help out any further.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ryanD2
Evap purge solenoid, rite behind throttle body above valve cover. Hyundai PN 28910-22040 dealer sells for about 45-50 bucks, ebay i've seen around 30. The land rover part is rite at 100 bucks. easy to install and worked great for me. Again i smoke tested the system a few times and found absolutly no leaks. The ecu runs the evap moniters when the tank is rite at half full, to lower. Thats why it will go out and then coem back, try to see if your truck did as mine. Half tank or less, a few miles on highway at 55mph plus then when breaking the light came on like clockwork. Worth a shot. shout back if i can help out any further.

My daughter had a soccer tournament this weekend so I put around 300 miles on the disco this weekend. I filled up soemtiem this weekend when I was at around 1/4th tank. So far no light. If I remember right last time they smoke tested her it took around 400-500 miles for the light to come back on. I am on about 2/3rds on the tank right now. I will watch carefully as to when the light comes on and get back with you guys.

Last edited by vishrb; 05-18-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Mudding

So the light came back on while at lunch. Around 380 miles since they smoke tested it and turned the light off. They had said that I did not bring it in soon enough last time for them to be able to acuratly test for the issue. So I am taking it in today. Surely that is soon enough. Will give them another shot at it since it is no charge. I was just above half a tank when it came on.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Mudding

Ok so the land rover dealership called today and said that they are very sure that the problem is the tank pressure sensor/pressure valve. They said they had they shop forman double check everything. Said it would be 1100 to fix. Said the part is part of the fuel pump and so the whole fuel pump must be replaced. Disco mike had stated before that he did not believe it could be the fuel pump. ryanD2 passed on a bit of knowledge from his experience anyone else have any ideas? ryand2's solution is reasonabley cheap but I still would like to know if there is any tets I can run to help narrow it down or confirm what the shop is telling me. I looked in the RAVE and not sure that I see anything that can help me confirm their diagnosis..

The system has been smoke tested at least 4 times recently. When they test it and clear the code it will go around 400 miles before the light comes on.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Mudding

Just know this about the light thing, just because its out does not mean it will pass emissions, when they plug it up it will either show that the evap moniters have been ran and are good to go or they have not been ran, in your case if the light is out it will show the moniter has not been ran, and if it was the light would more than likely be on. My whole system tested fine via SNAP-ON Modis and smoke. The two evap solenoids tested within 2 ohms of each other rite at 29ohms but the stock one was going nuts when in the truck, the other ticked nice and even.

drop the tank and spec out the pressure sensor, or 5 mins with the evap. thats kinda how i decided.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Mudding

Just know this about the light thing, just because its out does not mean it will pass emissions, when they plug it up it will either show that the evap moniters have been ran and are good to go or they have not been ran, in your case if the light is out it will show the moniter has not been ran, and if it was the light would more than likely be on. My whole system tested fine via SNAP-ON Modis and smoke. The two evap solenoids tested within 2 ohms of each other rite at 29ohms but the stock one was going nuts when in the truck, the other ticked nice and even.

drop the tank and spec out the pressure sensor, or 5 mins with the evap. thats kinda how i decided.

Sounds like pretty sound logic. I have the beast back now. I had set aside around 500 for various repairs when I purchased the this disco. I have replaced the radiator, window regulator, some various fuses, and added tow wiring. So I am tryiung to be as exact as possible with all repairs as I am obvioulsy going to have to pull money out of the cookie jar. It was easy with the radiator as I knew for sure what it was. Same with window regulator. This one seems to have two possible work arounds.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Overlanding
Default Follow Up?

I was just curious how this all turned out for you? I just had this code come on yesterday. I have a 2000 disco II with 97,000 miles. I ran into the bike shop to pick up some parts. I left my wife in the truck with the engine running and the A/C on. I come back out and my light is on. I stoped by Oreilly's and had them plug in to read the code. I came up with the same P0455 code as you. What has been the outcome for you?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Mudding

Sorry I did not get back to you. I have been working like a slave for a long bit of time. As a follow up After havign it smoke tested at least oen more time and being told that there was no leak I decided to just leave it alone as it did not seem to cause any issues. The truck ran fine with no performance issues to be noticed. I will say that I had to get a new battery a while back lets say 1100 miles ago. Of course when I put the new battery in the code cleared. For some reason it has not come back on. Usually it came on withen 400 miles or so. Usually faster. Soemtimes withen a 100 miles. Anyway no idea why it has not come back on yet. Just the rover being mean I guess. Teasing me or something.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just know this about the light thing, just because its out does not mean it will pass emissions, when they plug it up it will either show that the evap moniters have been ran and are good to go or they have not been ran, in your case if the light is out it will show the moniter has not been ran, and if it was the light would more than likely be on.
FYI, most states allow you to have 1 monitor offline for things newer than '02 or so and still pass. I know this to be the case with PA and NJ.

Quick Reply: P0455 and gas caps