Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0455: What am I supposed to do?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default P0455: What am I supposed to do?...

Hoping somebody may be able to help me with this as I don’t know what to do. This past Saturday morning I was caught in a torrential downpour.Later in the afternoon I noticed that my amber colored service engine soon light had lit up.Seeing as I already have the 3 amigos on the console and the occasional ‘you’re running on empty’ idiot light, what is one more, right?I figured it had something to do with the water I ran the Rover thru but the light is still illuminated and it doesn’t appear to be going out anytime soon.

So yesterday I took Bertha over to Autozone and a nice lady read my codes (oh yes, I would be lying if I didn’t say that I wanted to grab the code reader out of her hands and tell her that could do it myself – really must find it in the budget to buy a OBDII reader). Anyway, it came back with one code: the infamous P0455.

Gas cap? Vacuum Leak? WTF?...

Do any of you talk to your Rover as you drive? I shouldn’t get all touchy feely with Bertha but I do talk to her from time to time and I told her that she’s confusing the hell out of me and I don’t know what to do. I tell her daily that we’re a team and that I take her lead in telling me what to do to get her going but right now she has me completely stumped. As in ‘I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING’ (yes, caps are intentional as I am to the point of wanting to have a tantrum really really bad).

I THINK she seems to be running ok but I’d be lying again if I told you that I didn’t feel something different when she’s running down the road and/or idling. I feel like she doesn’t run as smoothly as she has in the past.She’s not to the point of ‘sputtering’ but I feel something different in the ride – hard to explain – or maybe it’s just paranoia on my part. It is a good possibility.

So I changed out the gas cap and it has been 24 hours and the light still hasn’t gone out.Is this an indication of having a vacuum leak somewhere in the system? Do I need to reset the code myself? I have no idea if the nice lady at auto zone reset the codes. I’m tempted to just disconnect the battery and see if it will go out. I’ve searched the forum posts and read that I should put a rag over the exhaust to see if I can see leaks anywhere.And this is going to sound REALLY stupid but when I started her up the other day small weeds growing up in the cracks of the driveway were blowing around and I didn’t have the fan on but I would think that the serpentine belt and parts moving around would possibly create enough movement to cause this? I don’t recall ever seeing that before. Again, paranoia or an issue?.. any help would be greatly appreciated!

(and Offroad, if you’re reading this I know that it doesn’t sound like I’m an engineer, but really, I am – I’m just not that mechanical.. )

Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Reset the code. If it comes back, it's your purge solenoid.

Replace it with Hyundai P/N 28910-22040

I've had bad luck with the Dorman part, and I strongly recommend the OEM part from the dealer.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Or you could just leave it alone.....I've had the same code for the 3yrs I've owned my Disco. I have an Ultraguage and just turn the code off when it sets off the check engine light. I get the code about once a month. My truck seems to run fine (knocks on wood) so I haven't been motivated to fix this code.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

That's not an option for those of us who have mandatory emissions inspections.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also check that your gas cap is seated all the way. My OEM gas cap wouldn't tighten all the way and make a seal, especially when it was hot outside. Bought a Stant 10819 cap and haven't had any problem since.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, purge solenoid. Clear the code and it'll probably come back in a week or so till you replace the solenoid. BTDT

Old 08-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks guys - I appreciate the input.

A few more questions:

1) To reset the code do I need an OBDII or can I do it some other way? I can always go back to autozone and visit the nice lady - perhaps she could reset it or I could actually buy a R2-D2 code reader thingy.

2) Is it considered fixed if I put electrical tape over it? I like electrical tape

3) I changed the gas cap already, and I did see a break in the seal on my OEM gas cap and replaced it with a cheapo from autozone (felt I needed to do something to thank the nice lady so I bought a part). I read that if the gas cap isn't OEM you may still trigger the code because the seal isn't as good as the real thing...true?

4) How hard is it to replace the purge solenoid?

Thanks again in advance - I have to maintain a sense of humor with Bertha otherwise I'd be crying all day long

Old 08-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

x2 on the hyundai purge solenoid. I'm about as 'shady' as shade tree mechanics come and it was about a 2 min job for me.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

purge valve fixed my 455 code. is now been 500 miles with no light for 455, knock on wood. lol.

I also used the Hyundai one. from oreillys

purge valve is easy. its connects into the intake, just after the throttle body via a black hose. its located under the iac valve. just above the driver side valve cover. think the part was around 40 bucks. a 30$ code reader will reset the code for you.

Last edited by MetalMarine; 08-21-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If it is as easy as changing out the coolant reservoir (which I didn't think I could do) then I should be ok. I'll just talk myself thru it and maybe by the time I'm done humming the alphabet it will be fixed

Thanks!

Quick Reply: P0455: What am I supposed to do?...