Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0505

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:48 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0505

Hello,

I just bought a 1999Discovery 2 and I am getting a p0505 ( Idle control system malfunction) when I dump the codes. The idle will go up and down from time totime . Is there a sensor that has to be replaced ? I may have caused this by cleaning the throlttle body, I sprayed the inside down with fuel injector cleaner that was supposed to be safe for sensors. Any help would be great thanks Ken

Old 12-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: P0505

Same happened to my Bronco and it was the IAC Idle Air Control, not sure if it's the same for a LR. Try that.

off topic, what's in the TA? any mods?

Old 12-24-2006, 12:40 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I sent you a PM, get back to me
Mike

Old 12-24-2006, 02:44 AM
6th Gear

Hi Mike,

I am sorry yhe PM does that go to my email adddress or the inbox for the forum ? I do not have any email or messages in my inbox, Ken

Old 12-24-2006, 02:51 AM
6th Gear

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply I will see if this one has it maybe I will get lucky and
it can be cleaned with electricial cleaner.

As for as TA goes it is a 96 Ramair WS6 car, It is basically stock but has MSD
ignition and complete sub frame connectors and Flow master exhaust. Ken

Old 08-28-2020, 06:55 PM
6th Gear
Cool

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I sent you a PM, get back to me
Mike
Disco Mike, I have been reading the forums and you seem to be the GOto expert for the disco. So i bought a 2000 Disco 2 150K miles at auction sight unseen from an auction for 500$. needless to say its been an adventure. After major tune up; New Cats, New F/R O2 Sensors, New OEM MAF, New OEM IACV, New Plugs, 8mm wires, new coil packs, valve, intake, inlet gasktes, new front main seal, radiator flush and fluids, oil/filter, transmission oil/filter/gasket, new knock sensors, all new engine bay fuse box, fuses and relays.

Bought the very expensive Launch system and ran codes, reset codes/adaptations/ecu, ran the overhaul/maintenance drive cycle......and so here is where im at.

after ALL that, she is finally running "better"(i can get her over 35mph). after she warms up she just purrs at 700-800rpm. for a while before the drive cycle was complete RPMS were all over the place. but now, i keep throwing the code P0505(iacv "Blocked") and the rpms jump up between 1200RPM and 7/800RPM at idle. While running no problems. Also, after i let the engine sit overnight, the next morning it is always very rough start and i can hear backfire inside the cold air intake.

after i clear the codes (including misfire detection etc. in the morning) im back to the smooth but up and down idle.

the only other code it is throwing as well is "throttle valve angle mismatch).

Im so close but i just cant seem to figure out what is going on. Is it the throttle position switch? have i messed up the throttle cable settings during the rebuild??(although i have tried to adjust with no improvement), do i have a faulty although brand new IACV?? i checked the continuity and voltage at the plug for IACV and i def. have power. Or last, do i have an ECU that has failed.......i will admit i have literally been plugging things back together and just going through this thing trying to get my 500$ investment(pre parts and time;-/) running.

any help from anyone would be greatly APPRECIATED.
BTW, this it the very first time i have ever posted on a forum ever so if i have broken protocol i apologize.

Doc

Old 08-28-2020, 08:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

While DiscoMike hasn't been around for a while, there are plenty of others with the know how and experience to help out.

if possible post up the actual code numbers you are getting, ie. P0XXX.

The following users liked this post:
Steven Roberts (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 12:45 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jastutte
While DiscoMike hasn't been around for a while, there are plenty of others with the know how and experience to help out.

if possible post up the actual code numbers you are getting, ie. P0XXX.

well the crazy thing is that drive me nuts. I spent almost a grand on the New “Launch 40Xbdjsveb something or other”. I had done tons of research online and they said for the money it was the number one. And it does do an amazing amount of things. But it won’t just give me the basic codes. It gives me a descriptive identifier. Ie. “Idle air Control valve blocked Drive Cycle C”

”Throttle angle air Mismatch Drive Cycle A”

drives me crazy I might have to go spend 25-50$ on a BASIC obd2 scanner because this thing is too advanced. Irritated.

I think I may have the throttle cable adjustment wrong. I am going to GAP it to spec .5mm in the morning and see if that helps.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:36 PM
6th Gear
Default FINALLY FIXED! Update

Originally Posted by Steven Roberts
well the crazy thing is that drive me nuts. I spent almost a grand on the New “Launch 40Xbdjsveb something or other”. I had done tons of research online and they said for the money it was the number one. And it does do an amazing amount of things. But it won’t just give me the basic codes. It gives me a descriptive identifier. Ie. “Idle air Control valve blocked Drive Cycle C”

”Throttle angle air Mismatch Drive Cycle A”

drives me crazy I might have to go spend 25-50$ on a BASIC obd2 scanner because this thing is too advanced. Irritated.

I think I may have the throttle cable adjustment wrong. I am going to GAP it to spec .5mm in the morning and see if that helps.
Well Quick update;

well whoever worked on this vehicle was NOT mechanically inclined. all i am doing is fixing things theyb "FIXED". well the cruise cable broke so they tried to rig it but that upset the throttle cable setting which in turn was causing the IACV Codes, TPS Codes and misfires.

Fixed that this morning back to factory specs, reset the codes and BAM. baby is running perfect, perfect idle and throttle response.....and NO codes after 40miles. Can't believe i got it running. Now to start fixing all the interior crap thagt has been disassembled or broken. This lady has been treated rough!

-Doc