Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0601 code on my 03 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:46 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0601 code on my 03 Discovery

My check engine light has been on for about a month and I have had no change in driveability or anything wierd going on. I had it scanned today at Advance auto and it came up as P0601 (engine control module-check sum error). What does this mean?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why the hell are you driving it for a monthe with the CEL on????????????????????????
A P0601 is an Internal Control module Memory Check Sum Error.
I would head straight for a really good mechanic like yesterday.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

try disconnecting the battery and touching the negitive cable to the positive cable(with them disconected!!) it might work, if not, you need your ecu reflashed, if the code will clear, if it wont, youll need a new one.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by roverguy7
try disconnecting the battery and touching the negitive cable to the positive cable(with them disconected!!) it might work, if not, you need your ecu reflashed, if the code will clear, if it wont, youll need a new one.
YES, C4 will have the same effect, then you can start replacing lots of parts because of bad advice.
Never remove a cable unless you know why and specifically what you are doing, it can be expensive.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:29 PM
4wd Low

I didn't get it checked out right away because I didn't notice any driveability issues. Disco Mike, what does this code usually require to repair? I don't want to randomly replace parts that cost money but don't fix the problem.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to have the dealer look at it, it is a ECU problem.
There should not be any parts involved, just maybe a ECU reprogramming.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Pro Wrench

mike, its called a hard reset. it discharges all of the capacitors in all of the ecus in the car and allows them to reset. its not bad advice in the least, and fixes a lot of problems in alot of cars... just as your pc freezes up sometimes becaused it gets 'confused' so do ecus in the car. as long as the battery is disconnected, and there are no other voltage sources in the car, like a second batt or a cap for the audio system, it is in no way dangerous

Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Might work in some situations, but for most of the people asking questions on this site, they shouldn't be doing this, many are still trying to figure out how to check their ATF level and could easily do something wrong and caqusing even bigger issues.
Most read this and then figure it will clear all codes and problems which is far from the case.
Take care,

Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench

thats right, and it doesnt clear the codes by any means, the codes are stored in the ecus ram, it resets the ecu, which can fix configuration issues... that said, yeah, if it is done wrong, it can mess things up, but so can lots of repairs, but with heed taken to insure the battery is disconnected, its about the same level of difficulty and skill set needed as replacing the battery. jason, if you feel ok replacing the battery, then try it, and then see if you can clear the codes, if you have any doubt about it, then take the battery all the way out, and then do it.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM
4wd Low
Smile

I am comfortable with doing my own repairs. I've never worked as a mechanic professionally but I have rebuilt engines, suspensions and have done body work including a paint job before and look forward to learning some new things with the Rover. I'm not saying that to brag I just don't spend a lot of time on the computer, including this forum, and I'm new to Land Rovers but when I check in on here the people posting seem to have alot of knowledge. I have not called around to see what people charge to reflash the ECU but I would guess it's at least a couple of hundred bucks!

Thanks,
Jason

Quick Reply: P0601 code on my 03 Discovery