Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0734

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Mudding
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default P0734

I have this reply in my other thread but thought it could use its own now due to further issues. Long story short my upper cooler line cut and I retrofitted it with hosing instead of replacing the whole line. Now we’re onto this:

So I lost about a quart and a half of fluid when the line cut. Refilled with All purpose Dextron 3 and a bit of Lucas additive. Now my Ultragauge is throwing P0734. I read about unplugging MAF or even go as far as cleaning it. Just swapped it about a month ago from a parts rover same year. i also read if the clips on the air box are damaged that can cause it, which mine are.

Should I be worried that my tranny has been damaged?

Tranny is rebuilt with only about 40k on it Apprx. Maybe it’s times to just flush and replace filter/ check magnet etc.

Im going to follow through with all of this and report back but thought I’d get a head start on the forums if any of this doesn’t fix the code.

What else can I diagnose?

edit* I also smell burning fluid. May still be residual from engine bay and undercarriage. Havnt done a deep clean yet.

edit 2* sh*t, I’m remembering that this code actually threw when the problem happened. Right when I pulled over after seeing clouds of white smoke billowing behind me, P0734 showed up before I shut the truck off. if this narrows it down any. I think maybe MAF and airbox Is ruled out...

Old 04-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

How's the cooler lines? There's quite a bit of pressure in them, maybe it came off. Either way, I wouldn't drive it

Old 04-17-2018, 03:46 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Twix
How's the cooler lines? There's quite a bit of pressure in them, maybe it came off. Either way, I wouldn't drive it
been checking them, they’re still attached and all is well no leaks.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

It is a whacky code I have had it twice in the last 3 weeks 120 miles apart. I cleared the 1st time and drove about 30 miles windows down listening and shifting up/down zero issues. Transmission worked flawlessly. Checked the transmission fluid level it is fine.

If it comes back then I will have to do some more detailed work.

I did however discover my air box top broke 2 catches and popped up and the hose at the throttle body had come lose.

So far in 100 miles it has stayed off.

The problem is short of serious issues with clutches, fluid levels or physical damage a transmission can not change gear ratios. And even then the ratios are the same but the computer is getting bad readings.

A faulty sensor is more likely to be at fault.

But you need to confirm the condition and level of your transmission fluid.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Further info

Also here is the service info related to that code below.

DTC P0734
Gear ratio monitoring (4th gear).

Possible causes by suggested order of priority:

Output shaft signal not to specification.
Engine management ECM faults present.
Open circuit C243/E (K) to C193/42 (R).
Open circuit C243/F (B) to C193/14 (B).
Shaft speed electrical interference.
connectors C243,EAT C193 .
Open circuit shaft speed sensorC193/14 (B) to C193/42 (R).
Shaft speed sensor fault.
Torque converter mechanical fault.
Gearbox mechanical fault.
Output Shaft Signal Not To Specification.

If using TestBook, the display shows the output shaft speed as measured by the transmission ECU and the engine speed as measured by the engine management ECM.
(If TestBook not available, use Live Data reading function on Scan Tool. [See Scan Tool manufacturers handbook for detailed instruction]). CHECK THE FOLLOWING:
Check the gearbox specifications and ensure that the ratio of the engine speed against output shaft speed while in 4th gear is correct (drive vehicle on rolling road or road test).
At constant road speed with no gear changes both TestBook readings should be stable.
The two readings should also maintain the same ratio so long as no gear changes take place.
If the output shaft signal is unstable there may be a problem with the output shaft sensor circuit.
If the engine speed signal is unstable there may be a problem with the ECM or its sensors.
If the gear ratio is not to specification there may be a problem with the gearbox.
(If TestBook not available, use Live Data reading function on Scan Tool. [See Scan Tool manufacturers handbook for detailed instruction]). POSSIBLE FAULTS
Output shaft sensor fault.
ECM or ECM sensors fault.
Engine Management ECM Faults Present.
CHECK THE FOLLOWING:

Read ECM fault codes and check if any crankshaft sensor, engine speed, engine load/airflow or engine torque measurement faults are set.
Any faults present should be rectified. POSSIBLE FAULTS
Faults set in ECM.
Open Circuit C243/E (K) To C193/42 (R).
CONNECTOR

Check for connector not correctly latched, backed out pins, damaged pins, corroded pins.
Open Circuit C243/F (B) To C193/14 (B).
OPEN_CIRCUIT

Check resistance > 1M Ohm
Shaft Speed Electrical Interference.
OPEN_CIRCUIT

Connectors C243,EAT C193.
OPEN_CIRCUIT

Open Circuit Shaft Speed SensorC193/14 (B) To C193/42 (R).

Use Live Data reading to display the output shaft speed as measured by the transmission ECU. CHECK THE FOLLOWING:
With the engine running and the position switch in 'P' the shaft speed should measure 0 RPM.
If the reading is not 0 RPM then there may be a problem with electrical interference.
Check the connections to the screen around the output shaft sensor wiring. POSSIBLE FAULTS
Faulty output shaft sensor wiring.
Faulty output shaft sensor.
Shaft Speed Sensor Fault.

Use Live Data reading to display the output shaft speed as measured by the transmission ECU. CHECK THE FOLLOWING:
Monitor the road speed (from the vehicle speedometer) and the output shaft speed while driving on the road or on a rolling road.
The two readings should maintain the same ratio. If one reading doubles so should the other reading.
If the readings do not maintain a fixed ratio the output shaft sensor may be faulty. POSSIBLE FAULTS
Faulty output shaft sensor
Torque Converter Mechanical Fault.

Monitor the road speed (from the vehicle speedometer) and the output shaft speed while driving on the road or on a rolling road.
The two readings should maintain the same ratio. If one reading doubles so should the other reading.
If the readings maintain a fixed ratio the torque converter may be faulty. POSSIBLE FAULTS
Transmission torque converter mechanical fault.
Gearbox Mechanical Fault.
CHECK THE FOLLOWING:

Ensure none of the electrical faults described in this section of the diagnostic are present.
Road test the vehicle. Ensure all gears are engaged during testing.
If the gearbox and vehicle behave abnormally there may be a mechanical problem with the gearbox. POSSIBLE FAULTS

Old 04-17-2018, 05:48 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
It is a whacky code I have had it twice in the last 3 weeks 120 miles apart. I cleared the 1st time and drove about 30 miles windows down listening and shifting up/down zero issues. Transmission worked flawlessly. Checked the transmission fluid level it is fine.

If it comes back then I will have to do some more detailed work.

I did however discover my air box top broke 2 catches and popped up and the hose at the throttle body had come lose.

So far in 100 miles it has stayed off.

The problem is short of serious issues with clutches, fluid levels or physical damage a transmission can not change gear ratios. And even then the ratios are the same but the computer is getting bad readings.

A faulty sensor is more likely to be at fault.

But you need to confirm the condition and level of your transmission fluid.
cool thanks for all the info. I unplugged MAF and realigned airbox, reset codes and so far nothing has returned. Granted I’ve only driven 10 miles so far.

I just checked level level yesterday and filled till it was pouring out of the fill hole. Unsure on existing fluid color.

If this persists I’m going to flush and change filter/ check magnet.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:10 AM
Mudding

Alright so tonight I swapped the hose for higher rated psi/temp.

Then double checked fluid level cold before starting it up- all good.

Then I warmed her up and checked the fluid again, down nearly 3 quarts! Ran out of fluid and so I'll get more tomrw morning but so far she's running a lot better with no code.

Will continue to keep y'all updated!

Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the same issue.

Broken airbox clips and one random day P0734 came on. I reseated the airbox lid after a few starts the SES light went away but my UltraGauge kept reading the code and alarming. After clearing the DTCs with my scan tool I haven't had the code come back (yet).

I really wish I had a (cheap) alternative method to secure the airbox lid.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by robert.juric
I had the same issue.

Broken airbox clips and one random day P0734 came on. I reseated the airbox lid after a few starts the SES light went away but my UltraGauge kept reading the code and alarming. After clearing the DTCs with my scan tool I haven't had the code come back (yet).

I really wish I had a (cheap) alternative method to secure the airbox lid.
Working on one - I will post if it is a success. The nearest wrecker to me with Disco's is 1.5 hours away and not open weekends. So I need a short term fix.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorCadence
Alright so tonight I swapped the hose for higher rated psi/temp.

Then double checked fluid level cold before starting it up- all good.

Then I warmed her up and checked the fluid again, down nearly 3 quarts! Ran out of fluid and so I'll get more tomrw morning but so far she's running a lot better with no code.

Will continue to keep y'all updated!
When checking the level “cold” was the engine running?

Quick Reply: P0734