Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting your Wheel Arches

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting your Wheel Arches

Has anyone ever painted their wheel arches and if so, do you have any pictures of it and what did you use.. I'm so sick of the faded, dull black plastic!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

And for the record, I have a Black '03 SE7!

Thanks everyone,

Old 04-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is another post about painting the front grille, which is also made of plastic. One guy there recommends a specific type of paint to avoid scratches because as the grille is plastic, you may have problems of adherence of the paint.

Here is the topic:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=30207

Old 04-07-2010, 04:34 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did it about a year ago, ill go pull up some pics and post back....

Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
TReK

I did mine without removing the arches because I didn't want to deal with trying to get them back on. A few people on here said they never go on as nice once removed. Here's what I used:

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 3003
Size:  125.7 KB

All I needed was some painters tape, a can of Satin black paint for plastic (some prefer flat black, I liked satin better), FINE grit sandpaper, and last some scrap newspaper. For the paint, rustoleum is very good but there are others out there too. Just make sure it for plastic and that its a quality brand.

To prep the arches I sanded the rough parts with the fine grit sand paper. Be sure to do a good job with this part because if you leave rough spots it will ruin the final outcome. Be sure to get rid of all the dust. I used rubbing alcohol to make sure the plastic was completely clean.

Next tape off the arches and use the newspaper to protect your paint. I know im not the best taper, but here's a pic of how mine looked. (Yes, I know i was compulsive protecting the paint)

Name:  001-1.jpg
Views: 3365
Size:  118.5 KB
As you can see, the areas you sanded will look quite rough, but dont worry the paint will cover that.

Next you can start painting! Do one light layer at a time. I did about 7. Make sure you are not too heavy with the paint each layer because it will bubble easily. I let each layer dry before moving on to the next. This takes time, but it will be worth it in the end.

I forgot to take a pic of the back one when it was done, but the front was just as rough and here's the outcome before i removed the tape:
Name:  003-2.jpg
Views: 3201
Size:  118.2 KB

This paint job lasted all summer and all winter, it still looks great and I highly recommend it. It's a real easy job and your arches will finally look great. Let me know if you have any questions.

The following users liked this post:
CamelChad (04-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will add that the Krylon Fusion plastic paint adheres well and holds up. Mine has lasted 2 years on my bumper trim. Taking all kinds of rocks and bugs.

Lots of lighter coats are way better than one heavy one...

Cam - will you come tape my roof and fenders? I need to paint the top and hood. I just don't have the patience for taping. That was a great job taping../

Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Cam - will you come tape my roof and fenders? I need to paint the top and hood. I just don't have the patience for taping. That was a great job taping../
Sure! But it'll cost you!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will have to plan a trip out to go wheeling at the Biltmore. I would say I will bring a case of beer for you, but that would be illegal... =)

Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
I will have to plan a trip out to go wheeling at the Biltmore. I would say I will bring a case of beer for you, but that would be illegal... =)
haha you've got two years to plan!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the pics and everything!! This is something I might try out... I don't know, I am going to try forever black and see how that holds up... I will report back and let you all know...

Thanks again everyone!! Great post's!

Regards,

Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Shane83
Awesome, thanks for the pics and everything!! This is something I might try out... I don't know, I am going to try forever black and see how that holds up... I will report back and let you all know...

Thanks again everyone!! Great post's!

Regards,
Been there done that!
It'll last for a little while, but not as long as paint. If your arches are rough, they will wont look good with forever black or back to black, so be aware of that.

Quick Reply: Painting your Wheel Arches