Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pan American Highway Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pan American Highway Expedition

My girlfriend and myself and another couple are considering driving the PAH in a couple years. It'll probably take two years for us to save enough, plan and have all the resources we will need. Here's a preliminary question about vehicle choice.

I have a 2001 Land Rovery Discovery II SE7 with a air to coil conversion with 97k miles. I have all the maintenance records since it was bought new. I need to compile a list of all the repairs it has had and their frequency. It's a daily driver and a money pit, even working on it myself. I want to know how feasible it is to use it as the vehicle. Obviously there are many modifications and add ons necessary for that kind of trip. I'm more concerned about reliability, availability of parts in CA and SA, availability of quality fuel and ability to fix in the field. If I choose to use it I would obviously send it to Scottsdale Land Rover and have them test every component, do all repairs and maintence just for peace of mind.

I love land rovers and I know why they were built but sometimes it's hard to ignore the logic of using a Toyota for that since they're already so popular in those regions.

Thoughts or preparations for such a trip?

Old 06-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a fun trip.

Check out some of the "adventure" forums, including the motorcycle specific places such as expeditionportal.com, advrider.com, and horizonsunlimited.com. They're a wealth of information.

If you take your D2, I would be sure to know how to fix anything that could possibly go wrong. Using the RAVE manual, and doing as much work as you can yourself over the next 2 years (for maintenance/repair). Being familiar with the ins and outs of a D2 will help on such a trip, even if there are mechanics/shops available.

Getting the Disco in tip-top shape before you leave would be ideal. Replacing things such as plugs/wires/hoses/belt/brakes/tires/fluids/filters. I'd also do a compression test, check the oil pressure and so on to get an idea of the general health of the engine.

I'd consider buying a Scan Gauge, or some way to read engine codes, possibly an ABS code reader as well.

Get yourself a Pelican 1550 and fill it with spares. You could buy new, or used from one of the breakers on here like Will Tillery. At the least, I'd carry a crankshaft position sensor, MAF sensor, coil pack, plugs/wires, some main hoses, fuses/relays/bulbs, belt etc.

My biggest fear would be a D2 specific problem that would leave me stranded. I think the biggest problems would be a no start or being immobilized. In theory, you could bring a crank sensor, interior fuse box, and a BCU/ECU/Gauge Cluster which would solve most of these issues.

At some point, you have to draw a line for spares, otherwise you'll end up bringing a 2nd Discovery.

In addition to getting up to date on maintenance before you leave, I'd consider doing some modifications/repairs. The front driveshaft will need to be replaced at some point (all mine have started to go around the 120k). I'd personally replace the water pump and pulleys. A good set of springs/shocks to handle the weight & any rough roads. You wouldn't need to do any big lift, or HD bumpers/winch etc if you're sticking to the PAH, an average 2wd car could make it with no issue. The head gaskets could be a concern, but not necessarily an issue. If they're leaking externally (oil or coolant) I'd replace them and have the heads done.

I haven't done any big "adventure" in my Discovery yet, but I usually do long distance trips on a motorcycle.
Two years ago, I rode a BMW F650GS from KY to Prudhoe Bay, AK and back. I did pretty much everything I listed above. Up to date maintenance. Repair of known problem areas. Spares, tools & manuals. Fresh brakes/tires/fluids. Mechanically speaking, the trip went seamless without issue except for one thing. I never replaced the plug before I left, thinking it would be fine. Naturally, the bike kept dying & wouldn't run, in a remote area with no service or people (Gobblers **** on the Dalton Highway). I fixed it myself, with my spares, tools, manual and knowledge of the bike. This could have been avoided of course, had I just done it in the first place.

Having a well running Discovery, with the knowledge, tools, and spares will allow you to focus on the more enjoyable parts of the trip, rather than worrying about breaking down all the time.

I say go for it, take the Disco.

Last edited by nickm347; 06-05-2016 at 11:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dweller in the Desert (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dweller in the Desert
My girlfriend and myself and another couple are considering driving the PAH in a couple years. It'll probably take two years for us to save enough, plan and have all the resources we will need. Here's a preliminary question about vehicle choice.

I have a 2001 Land Rovery Discovery II SE7 with a air to coil conversion with 97k miles. I have all the maintenance records since it was bought new. I need to compile a list of all the repairs it has had and their frequency. It's a daily driver and a money pit, even working on it myself. I want to know how feasible it is to use it as the vehicle. Obviously there are many modifications and add ons necessary for that kind of trip. I'm more concerned about reliability, availability of parts in CA and SA, availability of quality fuel and ability to fix in the field. If I choose to use it I would obviously send it to Scottsdale Land Rover and have them test every component, do all repairs and maintence just for peace of mind.

I love land rovers and I know why they were built but sometimes it's hard to ignore the logic of using a Toyota for that since they're already so popular in those regions.

Thoughts or preparations for such a trip?
All the stuff Nick said, plus plan on trailering a supply of fuel! I just did a FL-NY r/t recently and the frequency and expense of fuel stops was by far the biggest issue. Also had some exterior trim plastic disintegrate and the drivers side front window motor died. Not a terrible bill for such a long haul. And the dang thing is pretty comfortable, even for those rest area cat naps. Get the maintenance done, have lots of $ for fuel, carry the spare parts- have fun! Keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Dweller in the Desert (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Drifting

Great feedback so far. I've already joined expeditionportal.com and started researching a lot of different threads.

I definitely want to get the head gaskets checked, compression tests, oil pressure checked out, every component listed above replaced if not upgraded. I'll rely on the dealership for the diagnostic work then go from there so I can hopefully save some money.

I worry about D2 specific problems as well. I know I'd carry extra belts, oil, coolant, all filters, hoses, fuses, bulbs etc...but I need a way to combat overheating. Maybe it's a pointless worry.

As far as modifications are concerned, here's my list. I want to keep it modest and utilitarian as possible:
-I've already done the coil conversion for the rear suspension.
-OME HD shocks, springs, steering damper (I don't remember if that'll add +2" but I'd like a modest lift)
-Servicable front and rear HD driveshafts
-6x 16" steel wheels
-6x good tires (hopefully ones I might be able to find replacements for in the Americas)
-Full roof rack with single light bar on front and back
-DIY drawer system (only in cargo bay incase I have to drive others around)
-Dual Battery, Air compressor, Refrigerator
-Snorkel
-Good radios, sat phone and navigation
-I go back and forth on a front bumper with winch, but If I'm doing the trip then I should.
-probably a new radio so I can put a cd into the dash and play through a aux chord.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

OME is a 40mm lift, Terrafirma is either 2" or 3'.

I'd also do an electric fan conversion (see my signature link) as well as an inline thermostat instead of the stock design. Being out of the US in places where fuel quality is questionable, I'd add an in line fuel filter and carry half a dozen extra (also see my signature link).

A winch would be nice, but recovery points are also important. I'd get a hitch reciever shackle for the rear and a front bumper with solid recovery mounts. Nothing that might break.

If its only the two of you, remove the rear seats. Adds so much space. I do mine every summer.

As far as a trustworthy and somewhat common tire, I'd go with the BFG AT. The new design is supposed to be stellar and you can find BFG tires anywhere.

I'd retrofit CDL without a doubt. Even with HD driveshafts, there's still a chance of breaking one or breaking an axle. Even as unlikely as that may be, its relatively cheap insurance.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:59 AM
4wd Low

Nickm347 gave spot on advice. But even with all of the spares, tools, and knowledge of the vehicle, I would still worried about attempting a trip like this in a D2.

For me personally, it would always be in the back of my mind, "when and where is it going to break?" Don't get me wrong, I'm as addicted to my Rover obsession as the next lunatic on here, but we all know the realities of these trucks... And they break... Often. Having that "when and where" feeling in the back of my mind, would take away from the trip, for me.

But, if you've got a brass pair... Do what Nickm347 said. Start saving some money and make sure you're getting any and all repairs/service up to date and make sure that the motor is in tip, top shape.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Camel Trophy

Also, long trips are easier on vehicles than short trips. A little jaunt around town puts pretty much as much stress on a vehicle as a couple hundred miles straight. Cruising is easy, stop and go is where breaking things occurs.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Why on earth would you convert to electric fan when heading out into the middle of nowhere? It adds complexity and if (when) the electric motor fails your dead in the water game over. Or when the relay fails? Or wiring melts? For what benefit? Miniscule gains in HP and MPG? There is a reason that most trucks have a mechanical fan even brand new ones...they work. Only benefit I can see is low speed crawling maybe. I've never had this issue here crawling in the desert in 110 degree dry air. My condenser fan kicks in if it gets too warm. So maybe add a manual on off switch to the existing fan to compensate.
Maybe for a water crossing I guess I can see the point.

I would however upgrade to the Chevy fan clutch. It's a little noisy but pulls a lot of air.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:06 PM
Camel Trophy

My reasoning was because of the rash of mechanical fans we had explode a while back as well as the strain it adds to water pump bearings. Its a lot easier to carry a couple extra relays and 20 feet of wire (that you'll want anyway) than it is to carry an extra fan, water pump, radiator, power steering pump, and hoses, which is what the mechanical fans often take out when they explode. And if you get a quality brand fan, the chances of the electric motor seizing are extremely low, and if you're that worried about it an extra electric motor doesn't take up much space either, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, if you size your fuses correctly, melted wiring isn't something you'll have to worry about. Your fuse should blow before your wiring gets hit enough to melt, or before it warms up almost at all for that matter.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I can see your logic. Butt I've owned lots and lots of cars with a mechanical fan. Sense shaking the fan blade is part of my routine checks I've never had one come apart. Ever. I have however had many many many electric fans go bad and simply stopped working.

Taking a lesson from camel trophy trucks and overlanding vehicles in general simple is always the better way to go. Camel trophy trucks, Defenders, African safari trucks, Continental Divide Expedition trucks, Pan American Jeeps, CJ5 CJ7 ****** Jeeps, heavy duty trucks, semi trucks, tow rigs..... all have mechanical fans.... pound-for-pound they are more reliable. I personally don't need any more failure points potential or otherwise in this already complicated cooling system

Quick Reply: Pan American Highway Expedition