Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paranoia turned hobby

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paranoia turned hobby

Well, just a word of thanks to all the folks here who have helped with my battery, window and fog light issues. I must say I went through a moment of panic but after working through these things and becoming much more familiar with the truck, I'm confident I can keep it road worthy. It's actually kind of fun

Over the last couple of days I've been gathering all the various fluids and items needed for major service while attending to some issues. After a 1000K trip I started hearing the waterfall in the heater core and noticed the coolant was low. I also have some oil drips so I started to panic about the HG. Fortunately I bought the block test kit from NAPA and ran it today to confirm I do not have combustion gas in my coolant! Pinpointed at least one major oil leak as being a loose valve cover bolt - driver side front inside. Hit 4 auto parts stores and 2 hardware stores before finally giving in an just buying a 5/16 12pt 1/4" drive socket. Then another trip to the parts store for a 6" 1/4" drive extension. Torqued all the bolts I could reach to spec.
Simple-greened everything I could in the engine bay and hosed off then drove a few miles. So far I'm not seeing oil but time will tell.

Also found some small drips from the radiator hoses. May just replace them all when I do the flush.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: It's actually kind of fun

You say that now. Put a big bottle of this "good feeling" on the shelf, you'll need a swig from time to time.

Weekly fluids check with the Mark 1 Eyeball is good idea, daily if in the brush.

Also you might enjoy an Ultra Gauge, you can program it to display most anything, plus alarm points you select. And it also is a scanner / code reader. About $70.

Attached Thumbnails paranoia turned hobby-ultra-gauge.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Amen. Had I put a bottle of the "good feeling" on the shelf long ago, I might have gotten off my **** today to investigate/repair my RF door lock actuator, or actually ordered some replacement speakers for my subwoofer, or simply cleaned off the previously leaked coolant from the right rear corner of the engine to verify the leak has slowed/stopped.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

your list is too short or you're holding back on us....

Old 01-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I glad you found your oil leak but more importantly what are you doing about:
"After a 1000K trip I started hearing the waterfall in the heater core and noticed the coolant was low"

Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Three Wheeling

re: It's actually kind of fun

You say that now. Put a big bottle of this "good feeling" on the shelf, you'll need a swig from time to time.

Weekly fluids check with the Mark 1 Eyeball is good idea, daily if in the brush.

Also you might enjoy an Ultra Gauge, you can program it to display most anything, plus alarm points you select. And it also is a scanner / code reader. About $70
I don't mean to hijack, Savannah Buzz which do you recommend Ultra Gauge EM or Ultra Gauge Classic

Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
I glad you found your oil leak but more importantly what are you doing about:
"After a 1000K trip I started hearing the waterfall in the heater core and noticed the coolant was low"
Well, I have too many threads going I guess but I did update this somewhere. I just have a small leak from one of the radiator hoses. Coolant had gotten low and air got in the system. I bought a block test kit from NAPA to confirm I don't have a HG leak into the cooling system.

Topped off the system and burped it. Am monitoring the level until I get hose replacements but the waterfall sound is gone.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Buy a lottery ticket while you're on a hot streak.....