Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAS System Groaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAS System Groaning

Hello All,

I've got a 2002 Disco SE with 60,000 miles and a loud PAS pump/steering box.

A month ago, the PAS system starting groaning very loudly each time I turned the steering wheel. The sound does not occur when the road wheels are positioned straight ahead and steering of the vehicle is not significantly impacted except when maneuvering at very low speeds (still better than a car with no PAS, though). This problem presented with a rather sudden on-set. My first instinct was to check the fluid level in the reservoir, which was FULL. I removed the belt and checked the pump bearings by spinning the shaft by hand; it seemed normal. Two days later, I left for spring break (reservoir still full) and I did not drive the car for two weeks. When I returned, the reservoir was empty (fluid had leaked all over the ground). I wiped the fluid off the bottom of the pump and then ran the car for a few minutes (with new PAS fluid) to see if I could visually detect any leaks. No avail.

Due to the sound that the pump is making, I suspected that air was being drawn into the pump through the suction piping. I've inspected the suction hose and it's not hardened or cracked. I replaced the hose clip on the suction hose at the pump with a screw-type hose clamp hoping to get a tighter seal. I refilled the reservoir and bled the steering box several times according the manual.

The groan still occurs. Any suggestions for bleeding the box or other potential problems?

Thanks,
Spence

Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing sometimes, mostly when very cold out. I have a leak somewhere, but just can't pinpoint it. The pump was replaced by the previous owner and is only a year old, so I don't think it is the pump. I can't help you locate it, but do have a piece of advice to NOT use the Lucas stop leak stuff. WAY too thick for our systems I guess. I tried it and had to suction it all out.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling

I just fixed mine that was groaning. I put a new pump on it from the stealership $460., a new hose from the bottom of the pump to the resevoir $60, 2) factory LR PS fluid $29 Qt. And a screw style clamp for the hose on the pump. I also changed the high pressure line o-ring. If you have time you can do it alot cheaper with a rebuilt or used pump. I do not have anymore groaning from the steering now.

Willie

Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the advice. The reservoir leaked out again, so I'll try replacing the suction hose first and see if that does anything.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Mudding

Since you have already changed the clamp and can get it off easy the bottom hose is a good place to start, but I would suspect it is the pump.

I got a reman pump from Rock Auto and replaced with the bottom hose, because I could not figure out if the hose was leaking too, but I know PS fluid is corrosive and I did not want to deal with it again. The pump from Rock Auto was $175 after sending back the core. Also, Ive been told that you can use regular PS fluid, 14 buck a gallon.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Mudding

You may want to start with a fluid flush and a WHITE SHEPHERD stop leak, (not any other PS leak stop that you will typically find at the store) and fresh fluid. Did not work for me, but it worked for DiscoMike and lots of his buddies.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Mine is similar and the leak is only present when you turn the wheels, it is out of the pressure line seals on the gearbox. I put UV Flourescent dye in the system and watched it while my girlfriend turned the wheel.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 AM
5th Gear

It turns out that it was the PAS pump casing gasket. I know Land Rover doesn't recommend or even provide a procedure for rebuilding the pump, but carpe06303 posted in another thread that he found a seal kit for $20 (Power Steering Pump Seal Kit for LAND ROVER Discovery II 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004).

I popped the cover off of the pump and the gasket was just falling apart. It actually looked as if it had deteriorated due to the wrong kind of fluid being put into the system. However, I hadn't added fluid since the car was new. The car had been into the dealer a few times for service, so I suppose it's possible that they put the wrong fluid in to top it off, but it seems unlikely to me. When I started having problems a couple of months ago, I only added Dexron III.

But anyway, the steering now works better than it did new, so I'm very happy. I'll post again in a week or two to let you know if the repair is holding up.

Spence