Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side water leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by miculinic

Form the RAVE Technical Bulletin - Water Ingress into the Passenger Footwell - 76/37/94/EN

Water collects in the plenum sponge that is situated above the intake duct and drips into the intake, water is then drawn into the heater assembly, on passing through the heater assembly water leaks into the passenger footwell. The reports also indicate water is taking the same route via the windscreen lower seal, these conditions show in the following ways (wet carpets and water leaking from the heater). To overcome this condition a deflector strip has been introduced to route water away from the heater air intake duct, this deflector can be retrospectively fitted to vehicles that exhibit this condition.
How to fix this?

The following users liked this post:
Andy23 (07-15-2022)
Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 PM
fgd
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this same leak. Water is traveling through the heater intake, through the blower motor, and on to the passenger foot well. It seems my problem is due to the air intake plenum (the plastic piece between hood and windshield) being cracked in several places. While it is a pricey piece, I just replaced it yesterday. While I had it off, I could see that water had been getting in through the heater intake. It appears that water could also be seeping in at the air intake around its edges. So I used silicone around that and on each screw holding it in. The deflector would be a nice addition to help this problem. Though with having everything apart, I'm not sure where the deflector would be placed. I plan to test the all my work against drips at the car wash in the next few days.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Is this under the black plastic cowl that the wipers stud comes thru? If so, mine is cracked in the center. What is sponge mentioned in the service bulletin?

Old 10-06-2017, 01:04 PM
fgd
Drifting

Yes, it's that long plastic piece that the wipers come through and spans the width of the car. I think the sponge piece is gone from most trucks at this point. It acts as a filter. It would sit over the part of the piece that has all the little squares. Closest to the lip of the hood.

I bought that piece from Devon 4x4 in the UK. Even with shipping to the US it was still cheaper than all the parts places here.

The following users liked this post:
Jwehking (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

This is what I used for a friends Disco that was missing the filter. I bought it at Home Depot for $12 and cut it into strips. It'll last you for years to come.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:46 PM
fgd
Drifting

Rereading my post, it feels vague. I bough the entire plastic air plenum piece from Devon. It comes complete with the filter material in place.

Thank you JUKE179r, that may be useful for the future if the filter material needs replacing.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:50 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I used the cut your own from Home Depot before, As my scissor skillz must be lacking I found that it is not so easy to cut the material straight in as few sections as possible. soon had gaping holes between sections and rough edges.

I decided to just spend the $30 on the actual replacement foam pre cut to fit. It was easier for me and worth it to have it look less hacked.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:13 AM
fgd
Drifting

Update:
The rains started early in Portland and I'm happy to report that replacing the air intake plenum and applying silicone around the heater air intake has stopped my leak! I hope that's helpful for anyone else with this leak.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Guys-
I am having the same issue with water in the passenger footwell. This weekend I replaced the center air intake hoping that the rain would not come through the interior fan but no such luck. I looked for the Rave bulletin to try to identify the factory fix (deflector strip) but was unsuccessful. How have others "sealed" the intake so that rain water doesn't run into the intake and onto the floor?
Thank you!

Old 09-20-2021, 12:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Upon further review...the drains at the end of the area behind the fresh air cowl were plugged with leaves and gunk. Not sure how to explain this but there was standing water (its raining here today) in the area near where the fresh air intake goes into the body. So when I accelerated, I suppose that the standing water rushed back into the air intake at the firewall. I kept hearing sloshing water and now I realize why. Anyway, I fished around and found the drain holes which promptly dumped the water behind the front tires as designed onto the pavement. SO, maybe (?) this will stop the leak into the foot well area. I do see how you might want to seal the firewall air intake fitting. If I can take good pictures and upload them I will.

Quick Reply: Passenger side water leak