Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pelican Cases & Spares Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pelican Cases & Spares Recommendations?

I'm looking to move my spare fluids, parts and tools to a case at the front of my roof rack. It is an SD-style Rover Racks voyager. Would be interested in recommendations from anyone running a similar set-up.

- What size case are you using?
- Where have you found the best prices?
- Key spares you carry? (got all hoses, belt, CPS, plugs, filters, fluids)

Not crazy rock crawling, but off-road desert, water-crossings and class III/IV mountain trails.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 02-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am in the same boat as you, looking for affordable cases for my SD rack, old Army ammo cans work great and they are waterproof, I use them to hold all of my ammo and gun cleaning supplies.
.50 cal ammo cases are big and fit lots of stuff but I am looking for something bigger for luggage and what nots.
I have been looking at garage sales and flea markets as well as swap meets.

As for spares that I carry, it all depends on the trip, motor oil and coolant are a must, I also carry a cheap socket set and wrench set and 2 screw drivers, one of each type.
A roll of duct tape in a Zip-Loc bag (so sticky doesnt get everywhere) and Channel-Loc's and a 16oz claw hammer.
A 1/2" breaker bar is my tire tool and that doubles for checking/filling the diffs and t-case fluid.
I keep my truck in very good repair so problems are far and few between.

The farther out of reach the trip the more spares you will want, oil filter dont worry about, but a air filter if you are going to run into water you may need a new one if yours gets soaked.
A crank sensor for you DII guys and a brake light switch for DI and DII guys alike.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Spike,
Yes, I have my grandfather's WWII ammo case for some gear...will check out some more modern options. The brake light switch is a great call- I always forget about that one.

Here is a list, especially pertinent for you, from Expedition Portal, as this forum seems to be oriented to straight repairs.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ghlight=Spares

I'll let you know what I settle on for a kit.

Best,
Dave

Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If there is a military base near by you can check out there surplus auctions. They sell all sorts of great stuff for a good deal. I know there are sites on line to bid as well. Just be careful, a friend did one for a generator. He bid what he thought was a good price for one and when he won it he then realized it was for 10 of them. He needed a semi to collect them all.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at www.colemans.com .

Click on "Containers" in the left hand menu.

I have bought a bunch of different cases from them over the years and they have a huge variety and are a good company to deal with.

I really like the aviators kit waterproof box and the french military waterproof storage boxes.

Art

Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have an SD rack, but I like these and I have seen guys running them on their SD racks, it might be bigger than what you are thinking but it is an option, they come in a bunch of sizes depending on what you are planning on filling it with :

Rubbermaid Action Packer :

Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have used the action packers quite a bit before. They are decent and do not break the bank. Of course they are not a Pelican Case but they will get the job done. There is also a company that sells some really cool aluminum strapping that will go around them too.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by microbc

I have bought a bunch of different cases from them over the years and they have a huge variety and are a good company to deal with.

I really like the aviators kit waterproof box and the french military waterproof storage boxes.

Art
thanks for the link, just bought a german waterproof medical box from them, need to carry a first aid kit in the truck JIC.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by microbc

Art
Dude I'm heading down to my local Army/Navy surplus store...you got me thinkin'.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, guys. Great ideas and the Coleman's link has a ton of great stuff. As i think about it, it makes more sense to use these containers for luggage on the rack, as opposed to spares, which are heavier. I usually throw duffels on the rack and wrap them in a tarp...these will be much better.

Thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply: Pelican Cases & Spares Recommendations?