Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pending P1668 – Immobilization Fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021 | 01:36 AM
|
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Can I ask a really dumb question? Why are you unlocking the truck with the key anyway if the remote works? If there a reason... ? This might help troubleshoot. (I ask bc it's a bit abnormal, the plip is somewhat easier, arguably)
This isn't a dumb question. It's just irrelevant.

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Re: Nanocom -- Pretty sure there is a setting in Alarm...in BCU. I think this is it:Alarm disarm:
This setting programs the effect that usage of the vehicles key has on disarming the alarm system. Options:

 Operation of the key in the drivers door can always disarms the vehicle (ALWAYS).

That TSB is about passive immobilization, which the other poster is right ... it would activate if say you waited 30 seconds or so. Yours seems to do it immediately.

Either way, it could just be a bad BCU.

 Key only Operation of the key in the drivers door only disarms the vehicle if it was locked with the key (KEY ONLY).

 The security system is not disarmed by the key (except via an EKA) (KEY NEVER).
What is your source for this info?

​​​​​​​

Old 03-05-2021 | 05:13 AM
4wd High

UPDATE: after reading through other comments (thanks), I cleared the P1668 code. After driving it around - starting & restarting a few times - the error has not rendered again (yet). It may have been a fluke or mis-keying of the Nanocom on my when trying to program FOBs. Anyway, I hope this is helpful to other members.

Old 03-05-2021 | 07:51 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mln01
This isn't a dumb question. It's just irrelevant.

What is your source for this info?
I don't think it's irrelevant. It's detective work. The forum member here unlocks the car with the key but has a working fob. I'm wondering why someone would do that. It might bring new information to light that is otherwise not out there and help us solve the problem. For example "I cut the roof off my Disco, dropped in an L494 SC V8 and made it into 6x6 pickup truck, and relocated the 315mhz receiver to the drivers footwell but I don't see why that would have an affect on this issue." Not suggesting that's what is going on here but many # of times other seemingly unrelated modifications turn out to be the problem.

The Nanocom users manuals. https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com. I own a Nanocom, and they have PDF's explaining the different ECU functions. This text is found under D2 BCU.

Last edited by nashvegas; 03-05-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2021 | 12:40 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

I do get the ocassional P1668 error code. It seems to be related to this issue that I am facing, i.e., need to replace my driver side door actuator motor:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...not-up-104766/

I was able to clear the code with my Nanocom each time the code appears to get my engine started.

I am waitin for the weather to clear to replace my actuator motor. Hopefully, this ocassional P1668 isse will also disappear.

Old 03-05-2021 | 03:17 PM
|
Camel Trophy

What other symptoms are leading you to replace the actuator?

Old 03-05-2021 | 03:42 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mln01
What other symptoms are leading you to replace the actuator?
As a courtesy to the OP, I do not want to hijack his/her OP's thread here

This is my thread on probably reason for replacing the actuator:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...not-up-104766/

Old 03-05-2021 | 04:42 PM
|
Camel Trophy

I am the OP. 🙂 But okay.

Old 03-10-2021 | 09:52 AM
|
Camel Trophy

Problem solved, and it appears it was self-inflicted.

I noted above that we used a Nanocom a while back to set up a second keyless entry fob, and played around with some other settings.

One of the other settings we changed was to enable EKA (emergency key access). Last night I used the Hawkeye to disable EKA and the problem was resolved. I can now use the physical key to lock and unlock the truck and disable immobilization when unlocking with the key, regardless of whether the truck was locked using the key in the lock or using the plip.

Big shout out and thanks to keninnc for figuring this out. He had the same situation with his '04 DII and put two and two together.

It seemed weird at first, and it is still a little counterintuitive, but I guess if the key will disable the alarm and immobilization system on its own, there is no need for EKA. And conversely, EKA is needed only if you want the truck to remain immobilized when unlocking the truck with the key in the lock.

I have not found this information in any of the literature, either the RAVE Workshop Manual or in the Valeo BCU documentation that is available from the nanocom-diagnostics website.

Perhaps the moral of the story is "no good deed goes unpunished." The "good deed" of enabling EKA brings with it the loss of ability to unlock and start the truck with a plain key.

Last edited by mln01; 04-21-2021 at 07:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mln01:
Best4x4 (03-10-2021), nashvegas (03-12-2021)