Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Performance Air Intake

Not sure if this is a new development, but I got an advertisement in the mail from Roverparts.com yesterday and they are selling this:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8892.cfm

K&N Performance Intake.
I've heard the ugly about the K&N filters on the mass airflow sensor, but I have to wonder about whether this setup might be worthwhile at all...who knows.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance Air Intake

I need to find the K&N link which discussed these CAI, where they deny all allegations that their intakes cause any problems, I will see if I can find and I will post.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do your self a favor and save that $319 for all the high priced gas. On a Rover, where you can not get any cold air into the filter, using a set up like this hurts your mileages when doing in town driving and gives you about 1/2 MPG on the road as long as you stay out of the throttle and stay under 65MPG.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Rock Crawling

another thing I heard on the radio this morning which I actually pondered myself before was...YOU SHOULD NOT TOP OFF YOUR TANK. Driving around town with less gas in the tank is more fuel efficient because you're carrying less weight

Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Mudding

Actually, if you drive with less fuel you tax your pump more, leading to it failing, leading to you needing a new pump.
just my $0.02

Old 05-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Rock Crawling

that's if the pump isn't submerged in fuel.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Three Wheeling

how would driving around with 1/2 tank of gas hurt your fuel pump?
unstable, you do make a good point, I know the airlines stop filling the aircraft up and only pump what is needed for the flight, why move unneeded weight. I would have to try it and see if there ways an upside to the mileage verses stopping for fuel every time I wanted to go some where.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: troubled

how would driving around with 1/2 tank of gas hurt your fuel pump?
I think he was referring to the thought that running the pump on a very small amount of gas will overheat it and contribute to early failure...which I can understand and sympathize with etc.

I'm not sure the EXACT capacity of the tank but I think it's somewhere around 20 gallons. If you've got 1/2 a tank the pump should be submerged still and you're 10 gallons (5.8-6.5 lbs per gallon) so anywhere between 58-65 lbs. lighter. I can't help but wonder how much 65 lbs. is going to have on each MPG, but it will be positive.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Drifting

does anyone know how much gas is left when the empty light come on (serious question)? when i had my explorer it was said on some forums that when the light came on there were actually 2 gallons left.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, NEVER EVER drive under 1/4 tank of gas, unless you want to buy a new fuel pump.
When filling your tank, based on how the price of gas rises daily, the more of the less expensive gas you put in the longer you can drive till you have to add more of the higher price. My station has gone up 26 cents in 10 days.

Quick Reply: Performance Air Intake