Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008 | 05:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Performance Air Intake

Me personally I'm happy to see any kind of aftermarket air intake for a Discovery. Even though this air intake system is for a DII. This type of aftermarket air intake might be new for the Disco market, but it definately not new for the tuner market. Tons of other vehicles use these air intake with positive results, both in performance and MPG. If they were not effective, they wouldn't still be selling today like hotcakes.

I would also think the reason airline companies only fly with the amount of fuel that's needed to make their destination is probably for safety, and fuel ecomony as stated. Also keep in mind whichever city they're flying into they can probably get more fuel there as needed. It would be the same if you had a gas station at home, put in 2-3 gals just to get you to work. You have a pump at work and put in 1-2 gals just to get you to the store.Then you add a gallon at the storejust to get you home. You get the idea?

Driving around with half a tank of fuel will not yield you any noticeable difference in MPG. I've also heard to help copewith the higher gas prices, you should only spendX amount of dollar each time you go. The idea behind that is regardless how much the gas price keeps going up, if you only spend $30 (or what ever amount) each time you pull into the gas station,you will never feel the impact of the gas prices. This is another silly idea. Sure you'll be spending the same amount each time, but you'll be getting gas more often.As the gas prices goes up, you'll be getting less for your $30.

For me I fill up everytime, take the hit and keep going. Just keep your vehicle(s) tuned properly, go lighter on the gas pedal andconsolidate your driving time.

Old 05-28-2008 | 06:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Something worth keeping in mind is that a "performance intake" and a CAI (cold air intake)are not always one in the same. While a performance intake and filter (like the one in CandiMan's picture) will increase the amount of air, the velocity that it can be draw into the engine, it might not provideone of the most important parts in producing more power or combustion efficiency.....colder/denser air. In fact, if the unit isn't routed outside of the engine compartment, it may result in less power and efficiency......becuase most of the air it ends up drawing in is from the engine compartment itself (much higher temp than outside and, often times, not as pure....because of under-hood gases, burn off fumes, etc.).

A really goodCAI (one that delivers legit results)will usually have tubing that snakes outside of the engine compartment and the filterwill mount somewhere within a fender well or bumper cover......where it truly draws in colder/outside air. Good under-hood/engine compartment systems will usually use some form of air box that draws air from outside the engine compartment and is sealed off from under-hood air when the hood is closed.

Most of the time, unless an intake/CAI is complimented by other mods (exhaust, ECU reprogram, etc.) the performance gains are more psychological than anything else (via the sound).

Old 05-28-2008 | 06:16 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: inabinn

does anyone know how much gas is left when the empty light come on (serious question)? when i had my explorer it was said on some forums that when the light came on there were actually 2 gallons left.

On my DI when the low fuel light comes on I have 5 gals left.
And as for never driving with less than a 1/4 tank of gas, for those of us who can only afford to put in $20 a week, well, we have no choice but to drive with less than 1/4 tank of gas.

Old 05-28-2008 | 09:22 PM
Winching

Thanks for that note mike. I always used to drive my truck until the light came on.

Also, wouldn't a snorkel provide the colder/outside air we would want? Throw in a high flow K&N filter and that seems like a cold air intake, does that sound right?
ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

First, NEVER EVER drive under 1/4 tank of gas, unless you want to buy a new fuel pump.
When filling your tank, based on how the price of gas rises daily, the more of the less expensive gas you put in the longer you can drive till you have to add more of the higher price. My station has gone up 26 cents in 10 days.

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:13 AM
Drifting

amen spike. are you a student also?

Old 05-29-2008 | 12:00 PM
Mudding

So mike, are you saying that the performance air intake the o/p was talking about is not worth it?

p.s
and as far as only putting in 20 dollars a week,.... i wish that was all i had to put in to get by every week, lol.