Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up a D2 for 350, a new journey begins!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

oh, that is a good deal. I was confused with op's user name.
thought he planned to stick a 350 in it

Old 03-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

It would be a Bottorf bumper from what i found, i was just glad it came with the truck, ill weld it and stick a winch in it if the mounting points are weak

I have 500 invested on Black Betty, might do the engine work my self and save or just let a buddy do it and still be out ahead.

I previously had a ls2 GTO, its where my ls1morethanyou SN came in.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Winching

so far the new HG kit has been ordered, water pump, inline thermostat and water temp sensor unit with petcock valve and the bmw hose for the radiator.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
So i picked up a 2000 d2 for 350 a few days ago and its already better than my previous d2 experience haha.

It has 140k and after i put in a temp new battery it started on the first try after 2 years! no oil leaks(for how i guess) and went on the trailer under its own power.

I went in knowing there were issues to be had so i was not expecting much, so here is what the seller told me:"

Bad HG
No front driveshaft as a u joint was about to fail so he removed it and locked the center diff.
no rear sunroof so the rear seats are abit weathered
the heater core has been bypassed
new lower rad hose
re-wired stereo system with new amp
key broke in the ignition

What i have found out by just working on it:
fan clutch was bad
water pump seems to be dead
HG does seem to be bad (white smoke out of tailpipe)but cant tell just yet as i dont want to run the engine too long to test that out since the WP doesn't seem to move coolant-Radiator flush and engine flush have been done.
the serpentine belt was on wrong
Ac is ice cold!
no water in oil, oil actually looks good. -doing an oil change when the rest of the parts come in.
cdl light is on
three amigos are on(due to cdl from what i read)
no codes (verified via scan tool)
Couple of tips:

The CDL light should be on if the CDL is engaged. That's its purpose - to tell you when the CDL is engaged.

If it's been sitting for a couple of years, the CDL lever is likely jammed, which can be a a big PITA.

The Three amigos have nothing to do with the CDL. Probly the shuttle valve switch in the ABS modulator, but could be other issues.

I did the inline thermo mod and I'm a big fan. From what I've read here, it seems to be more stable than the 180 degree LR thermo.

Personally, I'd put in an electric fan while I was in there. It's on my list of Spring projects. The one thing I've noticed is as it gets hotter outside the truck simply can't maintain 180 degrees and the temp climbs up to 190ish then stabilizes. I'm hoping a high flow electric fan will help fight that creep.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
uple of tips:

The Three amigos have nothing to do with the CDL. Probly the shuttle valve switch in the ABS modulator, but could be other issues.
If cdl is engaged and you kill and restart ignition, aren't you disabling your friends and then getting 3amigos lit up?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You know, you might be right. I forgot about that but now that you mention it I think you're right.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:04 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
Couple of tips:

The CDL light should be on if the CDL is engaged. That's its purpose - to tell you when the CDL is engaged.

If it's been sitting for a couple of years, the CDL lever is likely jammed, which can be a a big PITA.

I did the inline thermo mod and I'm a big fan. From what I've read here, it seems to be more stable than the 180 degree LR thermo.

Personally, I'd put in an electric fan while I was in there. It's on my list of Spring projects. The one thing I've noticed is as it gets hotter outside the truck simply can't maintain 180 degrees and the temp climbs up to 190ish then stabilizes. I'm hoping a high flow electric fan will help fight that creep.
The cdl light is on, its because the front drive shaft is out as it had issues from what the previous owner told me

Originally Posted by dusty1
If cdl is engaged and you kill and restart ignition, aren't you disabling your friends and then getting 3amigos lit up?
That is what research has told me, i am just hoping that is the case!

surprising turn of events, i have found a front drive shaft and rear sunroof assembly so next week will be filled with the joys of parts coming in and the woes of having to wait for all of them to come in haha.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, that has always been my experience with cdl and lights.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
Yep, that has always been my experience with cdl and lights.

x2 on that.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Winching

Anyone know where that goes? and what it does? it seems to be broken but cant seem to find where it broke from.

Quick Reply: Picked up a D2 for 350, a new journey begins!