Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pics from first snows

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am jealous guys, I am still looking at two months of brown grass before we get any white stuff. I guess it is time to pick out some snow tires!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

great pics sloppy !!
I can't wait for winter to hit here so I can play too !.....thats half the reason I have a Rover.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
great pics sloppy !!
I can't wait for winter to hit here so I can play too !.....thats half the reason I have a Rover.
its about 3/4 the reason i have mine. its not a daily driver so it gets used on weekends and for play.which explains the fact that i have put on 5500 miles in the first year of ownership. i used to have my rubicon but after 6 months without a off road rig i missed it. but i wanted something bigger and not a jeep. looked into the land cruisers but they seemed lifeless. fear has never kept me from a vehicle and the LRs spoke to me and could do anything i wanted it to do.

unlike 98% of the rovers in my area i actually off road mine. my diffs are beat to hell. the paint has tons of scuffs from low hanging trail branches. my passenger door took a whack on a tree stump when i slid off a rock while wheeling. and my poor poor wheels are scuffed, scratched, gouged, and chipped.

my dad cant understand why i use my rover like i do and dont baby it and keep it as a grocery getter. i try to explain that my belief in buying vehicles is to use them as they were intended. otherwise you are cheating the vehicle and yourself.

besides,,,its a simple machine. and like all machines they can be fixed =)

Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Sloppy you hit it on the head about using it for what it was intended. Mine is a daily driver, but sees use in the local fields and is my recovery rig when the snow finally gets here.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

daily driver for me too, 7 days a week, 20,000 mi.last year. Send some of that snow out here will ya !

Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by d2luvr
Sloppy you hit it on the head about using it for what it was intended. Mine is a daily driver, but sees use in the local fields and is my recovery rig when the snow finally gets here.
my dad is one of those guys who obsesses over miles he adds to his jag. he has a 99' jag xk8. he loves that car, but NEVER drives it unless the weather and the planets are in a perfect state of harmony. he as put 2000 miles on it in the nearly 5 years he has owned it.

and when he does drive it he drives it like its about to break at any moment rather then putting it into sport mode and using the RPMs to give the car a workout. my dad is a cheap guy so when it came time to do the oil and coolant i had to go with him to make sure he bought mobil 1 synthetic and not store brand recycled oil and good coolant vs. cheap crap. he also has the habit of parking it in the garage for months and then when he wants to drive it her cant because the battery is dead. so he has to charge it. he did this last year to a fresh battery like 5 or 6 times and then the battery gave and he was pissed about it. i bought him a battery tender to use and he just forgot or whatever.

i have joked with him that he should just put it in a giant condom and hope that he is alive in 100 years when the car might actually be rare and valuable. i guess i just dont get owning something no matter if its a ferrari enzo or a defender 90 and NOT using it for what the designers intended.

i love the guy, but he just confuses me at times hahahaa. good thing its my mom who has to live and deal with him and not me.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sloppy,
I like that outlook on life. I have my disco as a daily driver and love being able to drive wherever I want to when its time to. I love to fish and hike and canoe and this truck just allows more of that part of life for me. Some people don't get it, and that is fine. My wife was hesitant about off roading, so a few weekends ago I went with her, after she drove on some easy terrain she totally understood.
I ride motorcycles too. I spend less time cleaning and more time riding than many of my buddies, but that is exactly what these machines were made for.
I sold my ducati because I didn't love the maintenance schedule. My triumph is simpler and allows me to get the long miles that I want. Again, it was about getting the right machine for the job. If you are riding a 999s my guess is that you have some Sport bike track time lined up to really open it up and enjoy.
Great photos. Thanks for posting. Here in Michigan we will have some snow fun soon enough. This week it was in the 70s though--and that is okay too!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
Sloppy,
I like that outlook on life. I have my disco as a daily driver and love being able to drive wherever I want to when its time to. I love to fish and hike and canoe and this truck just allows more of that part of life for me. Some people don't get it, and that is fine. My wife was hesitant about off roading, so a few weekends ago I went with her, after she drove on some easy terrain she totally understood.
I ride motorcycles too. I spend less time cleaning and more time riding than many of my buddies, but that is exactly what these machines were made for.
I sold my ducati because I didn't love the maintenance schedule. My triumph is simpler and allows me to get the long miles that I want. Again, it was about getting the right machine for the job. If you are riding a 999s my guess is that you have some Sport bike track time lined up to really open it up and enjoy.
Great photos. Thanks for posting. Here in Michigan we will have some snow fun soon enough. This week it was in the 70s though--and that is okay too!

i ride as much as i can. i do lots of my own wrenching on my bike/s. i used to race ducatis a few years back but too many wrecks and hospital bills made me stop. i was building a 748R with a big bore kit when i wrecked my 999 at the track and decided to sell the 748 and rebuild the 999. what ducati did you have? my 748R was a pain to keep running well, but my 999 has always run like a top and is spent the first half of its life as a pure track bike.

Attached Thumbnails pics from first snows-ducxxx.jpg  
Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
more again
I'm Not jealous, nope Im not.........Def not.!!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Mudding

This was last year, we might get our first snow later this week here in Cali.

Attached Thumbnails pics from first snows-hpim0134.jpg  

Quick Reply: pics from first snows