Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pissed off and need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pissed off and need some advice

On a whim I had my drive shaft checked out since I have had some noise issues and found out that it is a hair less than mechanically sound. The cv joint is loose (thats what my mechanic told me) and though it wasn't the source of the noise, I'm still needing to get it fixed asap. I called Tom Woods but they told me since it has been a year and 2 months, the only thing they could do is look at it and that they might fix it. The rover is my daily driver and I really don't want the hassle and to take the time to send it in! They asked if I was greasing a fifth zerk that requires a needle in the centering ball (I think) but I have never once heard that mentioned or even knew about it... So, my question is (after my rant) should I send it in or just have it redone locally, I don't want the thing to fail again after another year, how do you grease that 5th zerk, and has anyone else had this issue with a Tom Woods shaft? I thought they were beasts.
BTW: I was not the cause of the failure, I grease 4 zerks every oil change, and I haven't done any hard off-roading in the last year.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dont send it in, just have it taken care of locally.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the imagery of you under your truck with a hypodermic needle shooting up your truck like it's getting it's fix. I mean honestly the things we do for these vehicles they sure are needy b!tches.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How old is the shaft? Just over a year? I just got a Tom Woods front and as far as I know there is no centering ball in it. Just the 4 zerks. I will have to check it out.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Well I'll be, there is a 5th grease area. You will need a "needle attatchment" for the grease gun.
http://www.raceindustry.com/part-sho...ive-shaft.html

Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You can, if you want, remove it and while out being fixed, drive on the rear drive shaft only by engaging the CDL.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
Dont send it in, just have it taken care of locally.
Agreed,

by the time you figure shipping, the extra time your car will just be sitting and whatever they're going to charge you for the "repair" (not to mention the headache of it all) It'll prob be cheaper to carry in the shaft to a local place have it back in a few hours and be done with it.

That's just me though.

BTW, did you receive any instructions with the DS that mentioned the need to grease the centering ball? Also, in my op, it should have been greased when you got it and unless you're putting ungodly miles on it a year and two months of not being greased shouldn't have done much to it. Not saying no accelerated wear, just that it should still be ok. Think about how many people never grease things, or only do it once a year.

-J-

Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whatmeworry?
Agreed,

BTW, did you receive any instructions with the DS that mentioned the need to grease the centering ball? Also, in my op, it should have been greased when you got it and unless you're putting ungodly miles on it a year and two months of not being greased shouldn't have done much to it. Not saying no accelerated wear, just that it should still be ok. Think about how many people never grease things, or only do it once a year.

-J-
I agree! I never saw a single thing saying there was a 5th zerk and I'm not sure that is the problem but I just wanted to know if all ds have this need for needles or if its just the tom woods. I'm going to try and talk to tom monday and see if he has anything different to say but I'm sure pissed off at their customer service right now and if this is the quality of their ds than I would say AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!! One year is F***ing ridiculous!

Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You may not want to hear this, but a warranty is just that for a given fix during a given period of time, any change from that can cause them lots of legal issues.
At least they offered to look at it before blowing you off.