Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti Dip Pt. 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Plasti Dip Pt. 2

Finished the wheels a few weeks ago as I posted on this forum. Next project... the roof. It had started deteriorating from about ten years of sitting in the Florida sun. I painted the top of the roof with VHT epoxy satin black rattle can just to cover/hide the spots and get an idea if I liked it black or not. The black lasted about two years and started to chalk up needing a new coat. The clearcoat cancer spread to some other areas. Figured I'd black out the roof completely just to see if I'd like it. Obviously the next step is to have the roof professionally repainted sometime in the future.

I have not seen a D2 roof blacked out on this forum. I've seen a red D2's roof painted white on another forum. I just don't think white would look good with silver. Of course I'm open to opinions of 'yea' or 'nay' with the new look and my feelings won't be affected... Afterall this is temporary. I'm sure some will post that it will draw more heat too but it's not enough scare me for the moment.''

Notes:
- This is with (4) cans of Plasti Dip. I will add (2) more coats in the near future. I have a few spots that show blemishes.
- I'd encourage anyone to visit my 'Album' to see the stages of the roof showing initial damage, VHT initial paint job followed by this stage.
- The personalized plate says... 'Imagine' at the top... followed by 'No Roadz' below. Some people don't see the 'Imagine' part and scratch their head lol.

Here goes:
Name:  Plastidiproofside_zps54e9bf94.jpg
Views: 3057
Size:  135.3 KB

Last edited by Zonk872; 07-03-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: wording
Old 07-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks good in my opinion! Next step is the whole car

What front bumper is that?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling

You are the second person that told me that. Just too chicken. This stuff looks great... washes good but cannot take nicks or scratches. I would have to invest in a sprayer and deal with my OCD... lol.

The bumper is a 'lil guy' Bottorf? I got it from a friend who had an ARB and was getting ready to sell the 'lil guy'. He removed my cracked stock bumper, installed it for $200.00 M/L. I know the 'drama' story behind this notorious fabricator but I could not go wrong. It's rare... lol.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha yeah plastidip is addictive, I've done my other car twice, and the hood on the rover.

I'm trying to find a slimline bumper similar to that, to mount a camel trophy bar to...

Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Love the look of a slimline! Good luck

Old 07-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it looks great as it is! Nice job! You've already mentioned the heat issue, so if that's no concern, then who cares! I really like it!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks! The fact that my windows are tinted dark and I routinely use a windshield shade helps a certain amount. I have a black interior and headliner.

I did the tech tip using a 4" roller cover and dipping Xylene to remove some texture and spots. Worked great versus peeling and replacing. Still getting use to the look as I have not seen any others in black. The rain beads and rolls off. It sealed the gutters too as there was a hairline crack but no leaks. I will leave it touching up from time to time. Beats staring at the previous clear coat damage. You can see roof damage and stages in the photos in my Album.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not a gray plasti-dip color?

My friend just did his entire BMW and it looks nice, like you he had clearcoat damage from being a 16 year old car.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Camel Trophy

Gray is whack, I did my S60R in grey and it just looked like primer.
Name:  PcKYr.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  375.7 KB

Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM
PFS
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. I just did the front of a Formula Atlantic race car with the stuff at a customer's request. I've never worked with the stuff before, and was surprised to see it hold up to 170 MPH without a hitch. Rovers make half of that scary, so you're probably good!

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip Pt. 2