Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please don't tell me head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please don't tell me head gaskets

Hey guys. I have been loosing coolant on my 1999 D2 (125,000) for the past couple of months a little bit at a time..... the level would go down about a cm on the expansion tank every couple of weeks, but I know I need a throttle body gasket so i didnt pay much attention to it. Anyway i was checking my oil today and I noticed that I was a little low (although not that bad about a QT) and it has been roughly 3000 since my last oil change so i just chalked it up to burning. Anyway when I went to put more oil in, I noticed that I had alot of odd gooky stuff on the cap and it was bright colored. Does this mean my head gaskets are done? Is there anything I can do to pinpoint the problem? I did have the head gaskets replaced when the truck had about 60,000 at the dealer so I am going to be really upset if its them again. A side note is that the truck runs perfectly and doesnt give off any noticably different exhaust. Please help me out. Thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Please don't tell me head gaskets

If you have a white or yellow custard type build up, you have a head gasket going and are washing your bearing which will damage them.
You can have a mechanic do a pressure test to verify it is leaking and then stop driving it till you can have the repaires made.
It is unusuall to see a second set of head gasket needed, shop the price, get as close to $1400 using Rover gaskets and new head bolts.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Mudding

Well the stuff was an odd color ........... I had topped off the coolant with prestone universal green stuff (I know this was a bad move now) and it looked like a dried up form of that. Do I get a pressure check on the radiator? Are there any products that I can put in the car to try and seal up with leak? Thanks mike

Old 01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Yes, get a coolant pressure test thru the coolant bottle, and no, there is nothing that will help you with plugging up the heater, radiator and some of the coolant jackets.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Mudding

Well I havn't gotten the coolant pressure test yet because it has been the weekend..... but I just had a general question about the problem. A couple of months back I had my upper hose replaced at the dealer (I knew better but I was on vacation with my girlfriends family and needed it done fast). Anyway after having it done and driving around for about 100 miles I popped the hood and to my surprise the expansion tank was almost empty. I knew I should have gone back to the dealer and made a stink but it was far away so i decided to just top it off myself and forget about it. Well now that I think about it and have this seemingly big head job in front of me, I was just wondering if not bleeding the system correctly or not putting enough coolant could cause a head gasket failure? Did those scum bags ruin my truck? Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator

"YUP"
Sorry

Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Mudding

I figured that..... Is there anything I can do to pin this on them? I mean its pretty obvious that that was the culprit seeing as though I had the head gaskets replaced by Rover. This is really agrivating[:@]

Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Mudding

Take the truck back to them. Tell them what service you had done, show them the receipt, and tell them what problem you are having now. Dealers usually warrantee their work. Whenever you are going to get your truck serviced, for whatever reason, ask if they warrantee their work. Most of them will tell you "yes, for a limited time". Ususally if a problem transpires after they have serviced the truck, and the problem correlates with what was serviced, they should help you out if they are a reputable shop.

Hope this helps. -Justin

Old 01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Mudding

Oh and whatever you do, don't have an attitude with the service writer. Be calm and friendly. I know you may be aggravated but try to explain your issue in a manner in which they are able to relate with and sympathize with your problem. Also try your best to direct the cause of the problem with their service, as if had you not serviced your truck with them, this issue would not be happening right now. Shops call these issues "comebacks" and it's all part of the game for them.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Mudding

Thanks Justin. I had planned on driving my truck through their front doors but that sounds like a better plan. I will let you know how things go.

Quick Reply: Please don't tell me head gaskets