Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help, 98 Discovery I... Won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, 98 Discovery I... Won't start.

Hello all... I purchased my first used Land Rover just about a month ago. Everything was working great until I woke up to go to work earlier this week and it wouldn't start. I searched around this forum and found some very helpful advice, but nothing seems to be working for me.

The engine cranks but doesn't start. Yesterday I replaced the fuel pump as I am hearing clicking sounds coming from the relays in the passenger side, but $475 later, I'm no better off. I found the fuel cut off switch in the engine compartment and pressed it, but no change. The fuse in the engine compartment for the pump and the injectors are both fine. I am still not hearing the pump making any sounds either so I'm guess it may not be getting any power. I will attempt to verify this later today after I go replace my volt meter.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be? I appreciate any help anoyone may be able to offer. This is my first Land Rover, andmy first post to the forum, so forgive me if I described some parts or detail wrong.

Thanks,

Todd

Old 07-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Please help, 98 Discovery I... Won't start.

just for the heck of it, lock and unlock the truck 3 times with the remote, get in, put the key in and turn it ro run. Shift your transmission all the way to low and back up again. Make sure you are all the way in park. Turn it off and try to start it.

Also, have you determined that it is not getting fuel? You can check pressure at the rail, and then test spark..

Old 07-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Any codes??
Stop throwing parts at it.
Look at your crank sensor, when they fail, and they do, they will not send a signal to the ECU and the ECU wil not let the fuel pump fire up.
Mike

Old 07-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Drifting

Thank you for your response. I tried what you suggested... only difference, I don't have the remotes. I attempted to lock/unlock with the key but still didn't have favorable results. I have seen others reference checking pressure at the rail. I'm not trying to be stupid or difficult, but I don't know what or where the rail is.

I have also not checked for spark yet. I may have put the blinders on and focused on this issue being related to the fuel pump as it wasn't making any niose when attempting to start. The relays in the passenger kick panel are making a series of clicking sounds when I attempt to start (probably 3 clicks). There are a few relays down there and I didn't really pay close attention to the clicking sound in the past as I have owned this for such a short amount of time and everything was working properly. Does that sound normal or should I also perhaps focus some attention on the relay as well?

On a side note, and may not be related, ever since I reconnected the battery after installing the new fuel pump... the radio now appears to read, "CODE" and no longer works properly.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Drifting

Thanks Mike, good idea. I am trying to get ahold of an OBDII scanner now.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Don't worry about your alarm, that is not causing your problem.
Mike

Old 07-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The radio has an anti theft feature. Call the dealer with your VIN and they will give you the code.

The fuel rail is the silver tube on the top of the engine going to the injectors. There should be what looks like a tire valve on the passenger side of the rail. You can hook up a gauge to check pressure. The reason I had you shift was sometimes mine doesn't start if I don't have it all the way in park.

to test for spark, just insert a small screwdriver into the spark plug boot. Have someone crank the engine while you are holding the shaft close to the block. Be careful not to get close to the metal part with your hand, it can shock the crap out of you. Also be careful of moving parts in the engine. You should see a spark.

Go to rover-renovations.com . they will send you a Rave CD for free. It has a workshop manual and going through it will help you get more familiar with your truck. Get the codes pulled and get back to us.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Drifting

Thank you for all of your help so far... I have an OBDII reader now and unfortunately it did not returnany codes. I tried to start it again for fun after disconnecting the code reader and it made an attempt... albeit briefly, but it never fully "ran." It sputtered a bit, I backed off the starter, then that was it. Next attempt was just the starter cranking away... I guess that could be due to the fact that it's a hot day today, maybe some vapors have moved up into the engine...

Old 07-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

The temp. has nothing to do with it not starting.
Try removing the air intake tube to the throttle body, spray some carb spray into the t/body, reinstall the air hose then try and start it. let me know what happens.
mike

Old 07-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Drifting

I purchased some carb spray, sprayed it into the air intake tube, and it came to life... for almost 2 seconds. I attempted to start a few more times with no success. I repeated the steps and it came to life again... for almost another 2 seconds.

Quick Reply: Please help, 98 Discovery I... Won't start.