Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help, 98 Discovery I... Won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Please help, 98 Discovery I... Won't start.

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

awesome....glad to hear you got her going.

I know how you feel tonight. I just fired up a brand new motor I put in my boat. I peed my pants.

[sm=roll.gif]

Old 07-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: twalter87

It's alive... ALIVE! SHE LIVES!!! On my way home from work today I picked upthe replacement relay and crank sensor I had ordered earlier. I installed the relay and tried several times to start it up but found no success. While searching for where to install the crank sensor I noticed that there was some insulation missing off of one of the wires on the fuel cut off switch. I removed the connector and inspected it and it all still appeared intact. I reconnected the fitting and attempted to start it up, just for the heck of it, and it fired right up.

Fuel pump is now making noise and the relays aren't making any different noises with the replacement than they were before. I guess there just wasn't good enough contact with the cut off switch and re-seating it did the trick. Tomorrow, the crank sensor is being returned.

Thank you everyone for all of your help. If anyone is ever in the Phoenix area look me up... I'm buying the beer. Also, if anyone finds themselves in need of a fuel pump I have one... cheap!

Thanks again,

Todd
Shoot! Just moved from Phoenix!! Congrats on the fix and diagnostics, you just earned a rover chevron!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I discovered today that although the car works… it’s certainly not fixed. Everything behaved well yesterday, but today she let me sit 3 times while at lunch. Although it is a fun experience to have your car shut off on you in a drive thru, I would like to avoid having that happen again in the future. My question is can I simply bypass that cut off switch by splicing the two wires together until I can determine what is causing the issue? Every time it let me sit I simply wiggled the wires and it fired right back up. I understand the safety implications, but I can’t have it shut off on me… especially if it were to occur during rush hour.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Drifting

To clarify my earlier post... it's the Inertia switch that's malfunctioning/shorting and ceasing power to the fuel pump. I found a post on another forum that indicated this is possible to bypass (but not suggested as it is a safety feature). I will investigate theissue a little further and bypass as a last resort.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Drifting

I investigated and discovered that the harness that connects to the inertia switchexperienced a short of some kind.One of the connectors is scorched and deformed leaving very limited contact surface remaining. My only option was to bypass. I guess I'm now on the hunt to find a replacement fitting. Thanks again to everyone who helped me out with my dilema.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM
3rd Gear

I am having a very similar issue, ha no fuel pressure at the shradder valve so I replaced the fuel pump. Didn't fix it. I jumped the fuel pump to a toggle switch and when I turn it on fires right up for about 30 min then dies and I get a almost constant clicking from one o the relays under pass side kick panel. Then it will turn over but not start....any help would be much appreciated.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

When that happens, take a spark plug and remove one plug wire, attach to spare plug, lay on manifold. Then try to crank. If no sparks, very likely it is the crank position sensor. Fuel pump only runs a few seconds if CPU does not think engine running. Fuel pump also turned off by the inertia switch.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks, I'll give that a try. My fuel pump doesn't turn on at all not even to prime.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

This was probably covered earlier but doesnt a D1 have a fuel filter? unlike a DII which does not.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Post a picture on this board of the scorched connector and other things by taking a picture with your cell phone.
Email yourself the picture.

Then save it to your PC or Mac HD.

Then look for the attachment icon on ADVANCED posting screen.
NAV to the picture with Browse and attache it.
Post it on here..

Would like to see the connector.

Quick Reply: Please help, 98 Discovery I... Won't start.