Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP DAILY DRIVER DOWN! crank but wont start! land rover discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PLEASE HELP DAILY DRIVER DOWN! crank but wont start! land rover discovery 2

Hello, I own a 2000 LR D2 SD with the 4.0 with 171,000 miles, I bought it from a land rover tech whom worked at a dealership and owned it since new, so all maintenance has been kept up with and truck has been filled with only 91 premium its whole life, about a year ago there was a incident where my transmission case cracked and i had a whole new AT installed along with a front prop shaft and a full inspection, drove it probably 1000 miles since (maybe 8 months) and yet i had another problem, i had the truck sit while i was gone for a weekend (3 days) i came back to start it and the truck had a strong crank, but no start ( ive been on a 3 week vacation and came home and started fine (4 months prior)) it had a quarter tank so i didn't think it was fuel, i sprayed starter fluid into the intake and it started right up, i drove it for a couple days (most 15 miles) and the same thing happens, so i used starter fluid again, and drove fine until i got to a red light, it was idling at about 700-800, and the engine just cut off, oil and battery light came on,turned the key and crank but no start, once again i hopped out and started it again with starter fluid and drove it home, every time i came to a stop i would shift into neutral and rev the engine so it wouldnt die. ever since its been sitting, only starts with starter fluid.

i checked these forms and saw that a bad crankshaft position sensor would cause similar symptoms so i bought a new one and replaced it (yes battery was unhooked when installing), once again crank but no start, so i used starter fluid again and started it and let it run (in hopes to let codes pass and to let it adapt to new sensor) it got to running temp for 2 minutes and it just died again at idle, plugged in my obd2 reader and one code came up (P1884) I looked it up and saw it could mean a number of things, so before i dug too deep into what it could mean i cleared the code and started ikt again (with fluid) ran once again with now check engine light and a decent idle, after about 2 minutes again it cut off, i ran the ob2 again to see if any codes came up and only one code came up, this time it said code (P0447) which is the "EVAP vent open" code.

at this point im stumped what to check for next/what to do, i was planning on changing the spark plugs and wires to see if im getting bad spark, also thinking there is air in the fuel system or something? can someone please let me know what my next steps should be and/or what i should replace or repair? it is my daily driver and i want to get it working as soon as possible

Old 09-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

try unplugging the MAF and starting the truck without starter fluid

The following users liked this post:
RubyRoverD2 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:59 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Sounds like gas issue. Check your fuel pump relay exchange it with another. Next I would look at your fuel pressure I think the shrader fitting is behind intake manifold check if you have pressure

RubyRoverD2 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Drifting
Question tried it

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
try unplugging the MAF and starting the truck without starter fluid
went out and tried it, still nothing, put the sensor back on the intake to try again and still nothing, read for codes afterwards and no codes read

Old 09-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Drifting
Smile

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Sounds like gas issue. Check your fuel pump relay exchange it with another. Next I would look at your fuel pressure I think the shrader fitting is behind intake manifold check if you have pressure
where is the relay located? and can i check my fuel pressure here in my driveway with simple tools / autozone rented tools? if so could i get a link to a good video or forum? i thanks!

Last edited by RubyRoverD2; 09-04-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

You know that you have low fuel pressure since it starts with starter fluid but not without. Could be the fuel pump relay or even a corroded relay or fuse box, but is most likely a dying fuel pump (easy to replace under your back hatch carpet).

RubyRoverD2 (09-05-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Get the fuel pressure tool at Oreilly, rave manual shows you were the tap is - back of the manifold drivers side. Fire fuel and compression, all at the right time. CPS is a good guess, but you changed it and that didn't fix it. I still wouldn't rule it out.

ECU turns off the injectors if the signals are not there. You can pull the upper intake off, take the injectors out, and crank it. Injectors shoudl squirt on crank. Unplug the MAF or swap in a different one - bad MAF signals prevent starting.

Any spark at the plugs?

RubyRoverD2 (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 12:33 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Was there a point when the SES light were blinking?

Old 09-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Check fuel pressure, it obviously has spark if it starts right up with ether.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Was there a point when the SES light were blinking?
no, the first time it died the "sport" and "manual" green lights came up flashing but im guessing it was because it died in gear

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP DAILY DRIVER DOWN! crank but wont start! land rover discovery 2