Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help me with my 2003 disco!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me with my 2003 disco!

Hey everybody...I hope this holiday season if finding you blessed.

I only have 52,400 miles on my disco and I just had the 52,500 service done...I know...it’s early! They found nothing wrong and just did the normal stuff. Two days later I hear these sounds:

It sounds like an exhaust leak coming out of the passenger side of the engine...I really only hear it on hard acceleration. What might that be? Is it an expensive fix?

The other nose I am hearing is one I have pretty much always heard. When you gas you don’t hear it but as soon as you let off the gas it’s just kind of a constant noise that sounds like a bearing grinding or something. It’s kind of hard to explain. It’s not the swooshing ocean sound that people always talk about (I already had that fixed!) but sounds similar...just louder.

Please help!! Thank you all so much

Old 12-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: please help me with my 2003 disco!

Roves are known to get an exhaust noise, usually from a cracked exhaust manifold gasket, broken stud or broken exhaust manifold.
As for the noise you are hearing, have you replaced your u-joints in the front drive shaft yet? When you hear the noise, is there any vibration that goes along with it?
Mike

Old 12-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Mudding

With regards to the "broken stud" issue with the exhaust. The same thing happened to me, My '03 Disco (47K) was making that "exhaust leak" sound for close to a month before all of the sudden one day the thing sounded like a 78 Olds. I took it in and my service guy said that the "studs" had slowly sheered off one by one. And that that is "common" with Discos. He fixed it in like 30 minutes for no charge.

Good luck.
Brian

Old 12-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys. I found a sweet land rover shop by my house called Expedition Autoworks. Their whole parking lot was filled with sweet rovers all decked out for off roading! They took a quick look and think that I may have a cracked gasket and that might be the exhaust noise I am hearing. They checked the transfer case and said that the fluid was real dark and said it was not supposed to be. I have had all of the services done to my truck and always on time...so that bothers me. They said that I might need to replace my transfer case. They are going to take a deeper look next week. How much should I expect a local shop to charge me to replace my transfer case? Thanks much

Old 12-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Dark fluid is not an indicator of a bad t/case. Is it hard to shift, does it sound different when in low range compared to high range?
I woul suggest you change out the t/case fluid, looking for metal shavings or parts in the old oil, then go drive it and see if there is a difference.
If the t/case is bad, you may want to consider a good guarented used t/case instead of new.
Mike

Old 12-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Three Wheeling

that is pretty much what the guys at the shop said. they told me that it could be a bad transfer case....and they suggested a good rebuilt one. do you have any idea how much i will pay for one of those? thanks mike

Old 12-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: xadamx

that is pretty much what the guys at the shop said. they told me that it could be a bad transfer case....and they suggested a good rebuilt one. do you have any idea how much i will pay for one of those? thanks mike
Here is one good site for you to start looking at. Do you do alot of wheeling if so you might consider a replacement t/case that has CDL in it for the extra traction.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....S&Category=280
But first have the fluid changed and have then look for any signs of metal.
Mike

Old 12-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Mike...I will have them look for metal shavings next week. Those things are not cheap! I do some pretty minor off roading. I usually go with the landrover club out here from the dealership so it’s pretty mild I am sure. I have had other people recommend the CDL so hopefully I will end up going with one of those if I need to get a new transfer case.