Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP WITH Spark Plug Problem! PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP WITH Spark Plug Problem! PLEASE

I just purchased a 2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II. A friend of mine said he could do a tune up for me and i trusted him. I left my truck with him and went about my day. I picked up my truck and drove home. As i was driving, the truck started shaking and bad electrical smell came out of the engine. I made it home (30 min drive) and at this point the truck was in terrible condition. Horrible Smell, bad noise, shaking, etc.. I popped open the hood and checked the spark plug wires to find that 4 of them hadn't even been put in and that 1 spark plug was broken in the head. I spent the whole day today trying to take it out and replace it, but it's not even budging. I tried all tools i can find from "Grip Tite to Needle nose pliers". PLEASE, PLEASE im freaking out..can someone help me. I took a picture of the broken plug in the head.

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  148.5 KB

Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You need a spark plug socket and a ratchet to remove the spark plug.
Go to AutoZone, bum a ride, take your other car, whatever and buy a cheap socket set, remove that spark plug and take it to them and buy another one, you want the exact same one.
If you still have the other part take it with you as it has the part number on it.
Then put it back in.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
You need a spark plug socket and a ratchet to remove the spark plug.
Go to AutoZone, bum a ride, take your other car, whatever and buy a cheap socket set, remove that spark plug and take it to them and buy another one, you want the exact same one.
If you still have the other part take it with you as it has the part number on it.
Then put it back in.
Maybe it's just the picture, but I don't see any wrench flats on that plug. I was thinking one of those "universal" sockets that look like a honeycomb with tines that retract as you push it onto a nut, allowing it to grip from many sides. I've used one of those to remove a badly rounded but before.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Maybe it's just the picture, but I don't see any wrench flats on that plug. I was thinking one of those "universal" sockets that look like a honeycomb with tines that retract as you push it onto a nut, allowing it to grip from many sides. I've used one of those to remove a badly rounded but before.
Maybe one of those special sockets used for removing locking lug nuts when you've lost the "key" would work.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Maybe one of those special sockets used for removing locking lug nuts when you've lost the "key" would work.

I'm thinking one of those locking lug nut sockets is going to be too big in diameter to fit the recess in the head. This is what I was thinking of:

Gator Grip Universal Socket 3/8" 2121804

It has an outside diameter small enough to fit into the spark plug recess in the head, and is large enough to fit the 5/8" spark plug.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I cant tell 100% either.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 PM
4wd Low

the problem is that its rounded off..i went out and got these Grip Tite Scokets that supposedly are made for this kind of jobs, but still nothing. I even went to autozone for the hell of it and used Spike555 advice in buying the spark plug socket, but nothing seemse to work..I did every possible thing i can..I hammered it to loosen it up, i greased it, used a bunch of tools , but nothing

Name:  IMG_0636.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  159.1 KB
I bought these tools, but they didnt help

Old 06-30-2011, 10:24 PM
4wd Low

i'll give that Gator Grip a chance tomorrow and see how that works out

Old 07-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Winching

Wow man I wonder how that engine was even operable with only 3 plugs, I am amazed it even moved. Crazy!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sawadeh
i'll give that Gator Grip a chance tomorrow and see how that works out
Craftsman makes some sockets that have a spiral groove in them that will "grab" as you try and loosen. They worked pretty well for me. Try and use a breaker bar or long pipe if it grabs and use constant pressure.

Craftsman 952061 - Craftsman Bolt-Out 5-Piece Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I would PB Blast A LOT (let is soak in and repeat many times) or take a torch to it. Not much a little heat can't fix.

And by the looks of that picture, your engine needs a bath! Go to the car wash and power wash that thing to get all that oil off the valve covers so you can check for leaks.

Oh, and don't let your friends work on your truck!

Last edited by humroot; 07-01-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP WITH Spark Plug Problem! PLEASE