Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP WITH Spark Plug Problem! PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

X2 with the craftsman to sockets are not a bulky as they look and the hard you turn it the tighter it gets on the head.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by humroot
Oh, and don't let your friends work on your truck!
LOL no doubt in this case...don't ever let that guy work on anything mechanical again.....how he let you drive that truck off I am in amazement....

Old 07-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy Crap!!!! Whoever you let work on this really messed it up. It would be worth asking him why he did what he did..

Sounds like it is cross threaded and you'll need to repair the threads by using an insert if you can't chase it clean.

Humroot identified the Craftsman 952061 - Craftsman Bolt-Out 5-Piece Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Sets that maybe your saving grace. Once you place it over the damaged plug give it a good blow with a large drift and heavy hammer to set it in place.

If this doesn't work, if you have a welder, I would weld a 12" piece of round bar stock similar size to the spark plug diameter onto the exisitng plug and grind some wrench flats on the upper end.

I really had seeing careless problems like this. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

When you do get the plug issue resolved, replace those old factory wires, better yet consider following my Major service list posted at the top of this D2 section, got a funny feeling your new truck has been neglected by looking at that picture of old wires and leaking v/c gaskets.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Winching

Sweet Jebus... well the insulator broke because he probably was using a regular deep well socket on it. Ugh, that combined with not knowing what he was doing... WOW.

Ok, if you can find a cheap 12p socket that doesn't quite fit over the rounded off nut and pound it down over it you can probably wrench it out. Consider the socket disposable.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It might be time to cut your loss's and take it to a shop.
You might actually be doing more harm than good by hammering on it and what not.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:02 PM
4wd Low
Smile Problem Solved

I want to thank everyone very much for the great advice..I finally got it out and replaced all the spark plugs along with the wires. It was a hassle but it finally came it out by hammering on it and then taking it out with the socket and ALOT of man power... I bought it from a college girl who said it was too big for her to drive from craigslist. I mean the car looks great, interior is very nice, but the maintenance looks bad.. The car had barely any oil in it, so i did an oil change a little while ago. It also didnt have any anti-freeze. Not a single drop! I'm really surprised at how she was driving it in this condition...I did notice an oil leak which is worrying me right now.I need to pressure wash under the hood to see whats causing it. Also, the 3 "amigo" lights are on the dash, so i anyone has any advice on that, please let me know! I really LOVE this truck and want to get up with maintenace.. thanks again to everyone..

here is the after pic
Name:  IMG_1060.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  152.3 KB

Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PLEASE be carefull, the spark plug threading in these heads can be stripped out with your fingernail.

if you dont have a hex on there anymore for a normal deap socket, id try this before resorting to anything too drastic:

id buy a cheap *** socket just big enough to get around the end of whats left of that spark plug, throw a bunch of jb weld or epoxy in it, let it sit on the spark plug end then SLOWLY back it out.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sawadeh
It also didnt have any anti-freeze. Not a single drop!
If that's even remotely true and you drove it for more than 5 minutes you need a set of head gaskets now.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

err. good job.

i dont advise pressure washing it!!!! light hose action from under it at best.

these things are notorious from valve cover leaks, especially towards the rear of the motor, but generally they leak from pretty much everywhere, all the time it seems lol. be prepared, even with new gaskets, to check the oil level ATLEAST once a week just to keep an eye on things. that goes double for coolant while you are at it... headgaskets on these motors are made from waxpaper and prayers.