Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please share your SD roof rack setups

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:40 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Please share your SD roof rack setups

I assume the SD roof rack was the original roof rack supplied for the Camel Trophy Land Rovers back in the glory days. They were also used for the Trek and G4 events. So the rack has been in production and used on our trucks for afew decades now and yet there is no product support for these racks. Sourcing mounting hardware for accessories such as axes, shovels, hi-lift jacks, jerry can holders, etc is very difficult. Its downright BULL****. Seems my only option is to use rope to tie everything down but honestly I want something more secure than rope especially for long road trips. I see tons of product support for competitor roof racks and their is an abundance of mounting options for those racks but I really prefer the original SD roof rack to any other racks on the market. The styling is perfect and the history of the rack is why I chose to invest in one for my truck.

Im feeling annoyed. What are your SD roof rack setups like and how did you overcome these obstacles? Pictures please.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

What are you trying to mount on the rack ? It's just a standard 1" diameter tube.
I have 3 Rhino Rack cross bars and mounts connected to the top rails on the SD Rack to hold my tent.

There's a ton of mounting options. You could use these guys for a hiJack. Hi-Lift Jack - Adjustable Tube Mount - Fits 1?-2? diameter bars - 4WheelParts.com

I don't have space up top for securing jerry cans, but i bet you could use the Baja Rack mounts no problem. Baja Rack

I notice that Baja Racks have a Maxtrax mount as well.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I went thru this exercise as well. Very frustrating. But I found the best most secure mounts that fit perfectly on SD roof racks. Check out DiamondRax. I use the hi -lift and the combo shovel/axe 4inch mounts for Fisker tools. The all have slick locks and can be keyed for 1 key. They fit perfectly. You don't have to have Fisker tools. I had the ax so I bought the matching shovel. Any shovel or ax will mount to these. I use the chicken coup flooring as well to have something to stand on

Last edited by Yoops Racing; 08-24-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:19 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Pelican cases secured with ratchet straps with a locking cable through the handles and roof rack rail.

Cables like this.

I'm not going out to load my roof rack just so I can take a picture of it.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:51 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
What are you trying to mount on the rack ? It's just a standard 1" diameter tube.
I have 3 Rhino Rack cross bars and mounts connected to the top rails on the SD Rack to hold my tent.

There's a ton of mounting options. You could use these guys for a hiJack. Hi-Lift Jack - Adjustable Tube Mount - Fits 1?-2? diameter bars - 4WheelParts.com

I don't have space up top for securing jerry cans, but i bet you could use the Baja Rack mounts no problem. Baja Rack

I notice that Baja Racks have a Maxtrax mount as well.
Robert I have that exact Hi-Lift Jack adjustable tube mount and although it does the job... anyone could come right up and unscrew the very large ***** and be off with a new Hi-Lift jack! I will look into baja mounting hardware and see what applications can be utilized for my needs. So far the things I intend on securing to the roof are as follows:

full size spare
2 jerry cans
2-3 Front Runner cases
Shovel
Axe
Hi-Lift

Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
I went thru this exercise as well. Very frustrating. But I found the best most secure mounts that fit perfectly on SD roof racks. Check out DiamondRax. I use the hi -lift and the combo shovel/axe 4inch mounts for Fisker tools. The all have slick locks and can be keyed for 1 key. They fit perfectly. You don't have to have Fisker tools. I had the ax so I bought the matching shovel. Any shovel or ax will mount to these. I use the chicken coup flooring as well to have something to stand on

Yoops thanks for the tip on Diamondrax. I checked out their website and noticed that there is no pictures or links to any of their products save for a few shirts. Ill have to call them and have them email me pictures of their mounting hardware.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle

good point about security of stuff on your rack.
It's definitely a question of how you use your truck and where it gets parked. I don't keep anything up top unless I'm on a trip. Just keeping equipment out of the elements for when I need it has reduced the amount of gear replacement that I have to do.

If I ever get around to pulling off my rear ladder I'll holler btw. I haven't forgotten, it's just that I'm having to divide my limited spare time between a new to me Range Rover classic and renovating a house we just bought.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:11 PM
TReK

good point about security of stuff on your rack.
It's definitely a question of how you use your truck and where it gets parked. I don't keep anything up top unless I'm on a trip. Just keeping equipment out of the elements for when I need it has reduced the amount of gear replacement that I have to do.

If I ever get around to pulling off my rear ladder I'll holler btw. I haven't forgotten, it's just that I'm having to divide my limited spare time between a new to me Range Rover classic and renovating a house we just bought.

Out of sheer boredem I watched a bunch of those dash cam videos on youtube and saw many cases where a vehicle or big truck had a load not properly secured and consequently the load came lose and caused a major accident on the road way.... thinking about that and all the **** I want to load on up my roof for my road trip, I want to be dam sure that everything is safe, not just for my sake but for fellow motorists. Imagine the horror if my hi-lift jack came off while I was driving 65 MPH on the highway?.....

Dont worry about the ladder. I have a BIG order with Rovers North saved to my shopping cart and a new ladder is on that list. They are cheap when your not broke lol.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Out of sheer boredem I watched a bunch of those dash cam videos on youtube and saw many cases where a vehicle or big truck had a load not properly secured and consequently the load came lose and caused a major accident on the road way.... thinking about that and all the **** I want to load on up my roof for my road trip, I want to be dam sure that everything is safe, not just for my sake but for fellow motorists. Imagine the horror if my hi-lift jack came off while I was driving 65 MPH on the highway?.....

Dont worry about the ladder. I have a BIG order with Rovers North saved to my shopping cart and a new ladder is on that list. They are cheap when your not broke lol.
What are you ordering next ? I finally caved and ordered a replacement rear bumper for my D2 but most days in sits in my shop looking forlorn while I rush to get the Classic sorted.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:45 AM
TReK

What are you ordering next ? I finally caved and ordered a replacement rear bumper for my D2 but most days in sits in my shop looking forlorn while I rush to get the Classic sorted.

You really dont want to know! Bahaha but I think I posted a list of all the **** Im ordering/ordered for my D2.

Genuine rear bumper or aftermarket HD bumper? I still say RTE makes the best looking rear bumper.

Quick Reply: Please share your SD roof rack setups