Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs/Wires done. Thinking of skipping Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

throw a can of seafoam in the gas tank before the trip to get your maitenance started!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good idea! Will do.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:47 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what you expect 7 ounces of ethanol and 6 ounces of pale oil to do for you in a 25 gallon tank of gas. Seafoam does very little to nothing in the gas tank as far as cleaning goes. Add a couple bottles of techron or a other cleaner with PEA.

Last edited by lipadj46; 05-27-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Not sure what you expect 7 ounces of ethanol and 6 ounces of pale oil to do for you in a 25 gallon tank of gas. Seafoam does very little to nothing in the gas tank as far as cleaning goes. Add a couple bottles of techron or a other cleaner with PEA.
dont hate the foam! its good stuff. Especially if you pick up a used rig or have not taken care of the one you own...it is actually

Pale Oil 40-60%
Naphtha (AKA Camp fuel) 20-25%
Isopropyl alcohol 10-20%

It lubricates all of my girls internals. It also loosens carbon deposits and when the engine is hot enough it burns it off other internals. Same concept for nitrous. And the smoke that comes out is the pale oil mixed in with carcinogens from carbon build up that you may or may not of build up. hence some get smoke and others dont.

i don't disagree with the use of techron after all volvo and benz have issued service bulletins advising the use of the concentrate.

they are in fact two completley different things. throw one or both in. make a nice cocktail for ya lady.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Does Seafoam in the tank produce the same, less, or none of the smoke that the induction cleaning does?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Antmen
Does Seafoam in the tank produce the same, less, or none of the smoke that the induction cleaning does?
You won't see smoke just adding it to your gas tank.

Foggy nights are a great time to do an induction cleaning

Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't hate seafoam it has it's uses (I use it mainly as a small engine cleaner and an induction cleaner) but it is not an effective cleaner in a large gas tank. Your gas already has plenty of alcohol in it and the few ounces of naptha is just not enough to do anything. If you want a solvent cleaner use berryman's chemtool that is a strong solvent with no oil in it. If you want an upper cylinder lube use MMO, it's much cheaper than seafoam.

Last edited by lipadj46; 05-27-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM

correct it will not produce smoke via the gas tank. i use it in my gas to clean my injectors and its has go to be cleaning a bit when its sprayed out and burned up.

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I don't hate seafoam it has it's uses (I use it mainly as a small engine cleaner and an induction cleaner) but it is not an effective cleaner in a large gas tank. Your gas already has plenty of alcohol in it and the few ounces of naptha is just not enough to do anything. If you want a solvent cleaner use berryman's chemtool that is a strong solvent with no oil in it. If you want an upper cylinder lube use MMO, it's much cheaper than seafoam.
i never put it in my tank when its full i add it when i have between a quarter and half tank left. tank about the size of a compact car. i will run the truck another 35 miles and then fill up. i am yet to sample some other items like berrymans but look forward to it. right now i need hubs and a seat belt pretensioner before i have fun with any more additives.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put some in mine when it was below a quarter tank then added enough Shell 93 to get it up to half tank, runs really smooth.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you just use good gas all the time (like Shell V-Power) it will keep your engine clean as well as clean up a dirty one.
I use Shell 90% of the time and I have done the induction cleaning twice in 2 years and have gotten zero smoke when doing the induction cleaning.

I will once a year use the Chemtool in the gas tank when going on a long trip.
You can buy it at Wal-Mart, its cheap.

Quick Reply: Plugs/Wires done. Thinking of skipping Seafoam