Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in the proposed bumper design?
Yes you would buy one
50.00%
No you would not buy one
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: New style HD bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by flavo
I'd love a stock looking bumper that wouldnt break. I wonder what the costs on something that clean looking would be? Probably wouldnt be very affordable with the brush guard on the front.
I'm certainly in for more info though.
I'm also not a fan of the hardcore off road bumper but dont want to spend $600 on another bumper that will break if looked at sideways.

I found this one from a Greek company but there are very few pictures of it. Not that I'd be able to get it here anyway.

Here are some more photos of this bumper: Discovery 2 front winch bumper fitting instructions

Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i went with the TF , went on great, looks even better, has a winch mount and recovery points also fairly inexpensive as bumpers go.
the only issue i have with it is that there is no place to mount extra lights, but there are companys that just sell light bars that im sure would fit.

Last edited by drowssap; 01-21-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acamato
Some great examples here. For me the key features on a custom bumper would be:

Visual Design:
Smooth curves vs. hard angles
Subtle winch integration (I have no desire to add a winch)

Technical:
Preserve water bottle stock location
Relatively light weight
Paintable (I've had bad experiences with power coated parts this large)
Jack points
Recovery points

Lighting:
Integrated foglights
Excellent mounting points for driving lights

The closest of the options in the post from acamato was this:

Rock Bumper – Non Facelift | Torque Performance 4×4

Old 01-21-2014, 11:21 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by acamato
Here are some more photos of this bumper: Discovery 2 front winch bumper fitting instructions

Can anybody help us find a vendor that currently sells this bumper? The link provided does show install instructions for this bumper, however it is NOT listed under the bumpers section. In fact the only bumper listed is a TF rear bumper. Strange this site would show instructions for a bumper install when the bumper is not even on this parts list.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
You're missing my point but Dane! gets it. Look back through the responses and every single person wants something a little bit different. You aren't going to get even 5 people to agree on their perfect bumper.
Any fabricator worth his weight should be able to whip up a custom bumper for you pretty easily. Be wary of the guys that say they can do it for $300. Like most things you get what you pay for. Talk to a real fabricator and see what he can whip up for you. Then if it's good enough other people will want to buy it. This is exactly what Greg Davis does. He had s bumper built, people wanted to buy it, he pays a fabricator to build them, and Greg resells them to the target market.

You're asking people to vote on an idea. Basically "do you want a really clean looking HD winch bumper?". Of course everyone is going to say Yes! Who is going to say "No I want an ugly POS"? The problem is everyone's opinion of a really clean winch bumper is totally different. For God's sake, some people thought the Bottorf front bumper looked good!!! That should tell you how skewed some people's taste is.
This is, of course, just MY opinion.

PS. Do you really want to dig up the whole driveshaft debacle?? That didn't turn out for any of the bangwagoneers as I recall. And it's not a biased towards Tom Woods, it's skepticism of some new unproven product costing damn near the cost of a time tested reputable product.

No I understand what you mean. What I was saying is a general design bumper that looks like the factory setup. Sell them as is or offer additional options like recovery points, fog light housing, a-fram push bars or bull bars. Some variants of it. I think Ive seen the ARB bumper come with some variations. Basically same bumper design but some have extra things on them. Thats what I was leaning towards.

I have not even dared talk to any local fabricators in my area. Dont trust them and Im willing to bet their prices will be through the roof. Plus I was hoping to deal with someone who has experience making bumpers for these vehicles. Someone who knows what works and what does not work. Someone whos not going to bull**** me about the project. Thats why I made a request here. I trust you guys and some of you make bumpers.

I already contacted RTE welding regarding the proposal and though they admitted it was not to far fetched, they however do not have the means to build it at this time. I contacted them because Ive seen their rear HD bumper and it looks very clean and Im thinking about getting it eventually. Do you have any suggestions for another welding company who has experience with Rovers who might be open to new projects?

Thanks for the tip. I think the average price for a new HD bumper is between $500-1,200 so I have a good idea what I might be paying for it.