Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popped codes in deep-ish water...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Popped codes in deep-ish water...

Hi to all,

I hope everyone had a great Holiday and New Years.

Well, Southern CA just got some long overdue rain. To optimize the weather experience my wife and I did some urban 4x4ing at a popular city street/river. It’s cheap fun and a good way to rinse the dust off the undercarriage.

Appropriately named, Channel Dr. it goes 18-24” deep from side to side and extends over 2 blocks. It’s common to see 4x4s lined up and pushing water the complete distance.

Popped some codes. Almost immediately after entering the water my CEL came on. I pulled out the OBD2:

Cleared the codes and the CEL remained off. I did another water run and again immediately popped codes.

I have new O2s, wires and plugs. I’m sure water was flushing the connection plugs for the O2s.

Is it common to get codes while driving through deep-ish water?

Also any post-swimming maintenance advise?

Thanks,
MWmG

Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Popped codes in deep-ish water...

Here are the codes, bookmark the site.
http://www.troublecodes.net/landrvr/
As far as post water checks, just check ALL the fluids for water ingress. Pay special attention to the differentals and transfer case.
As long as there is no water, you are good.
Glad you had fun. My wife and I have to wait until spring for the river to flood before we are in water extended amounts of time.
When we off road it is usually under 50 yards long and 12" deep.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the codes link, didn't have that one.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took mine through some sorta deep water in our local mud hole and i never got a CEL and the water was propably close to 2 ft

Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Your 02's can take the water and not be effected nor will they cause you to have so many misfires.
The only possibility might be a bad connection on one of the coil packs.
I have run water to my hood line so with a 3" lift that is about 36"s of water with no problem.
Try clearing them again and see if they stay off. How is the engine running?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I can clear the codes and the CEL stays off. The engine runs perfectly while the CEL light is on or off. But, as soon as I entered the waterit triggers something.

Both water crossings were done with caution not to excessively flood the engine compartment. I've seen many Toy4x4s pulled off that streetbecause of water injestion. My approach is to work into a nice bow wake and follow in the hole.

Several months ago I aggressively power washed my engine and gained the same code set.That I'm certain that wasthe result of water in the coil packs.

I'll check the coils... Also the Mag wire instruction set said not to use grease at the contacts.
Anyone have opinions on that?

Also, whatis the best way to checkDiffs and Transf for water?

Post water maintenance-
I did regreased my u-joints and shafts. Everything else looks good.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The ONLY way to check your diff and t-case for water is to pull the "fill" plug and stick your finger in the hole and see if it is milky or not.
If you have never changed the fluids then now would be as good a time as any.
I change mine every 50k.
The diffs have axle breather tubes that come out of the top of the axle next to the diff to vent any moister and to keep pressure from building up inside the axle. But if there is excessive water the fluid needs to be changed.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeepBlueWater

I'll check the coils... Also the Mag wire instruction set said not to use grease at the contacts.
I like to use a bit of di-electric grease on my contacts to make a good connection and keep them dry if water gets in there. I seem to remember the Mag wire instructionssaying not to use it to reduce the chance of the plugs popping off. I'm pretty sure I used grease on my mags though and all is fine. Maybe check your plugs for water???

Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Spike555

The ONLY way to check your diff and t-case for water is to pull the "fill" plug and stick your finger in the hole and see if it is milky or not.
If you have never changed the fluids then now would be as good a time as any.
I change mine every 50k.
The diffs have axle breather tubes that come out of the top of the axle next to the diff to vent any moister and to keep pressure from building up inside the axle. But if there is excessive water the fluid needs to be changed.
Your diffs should be changed every 30,000 miles when there have been no watering crossings and changed every 12,000 to 15,00 even if your tubes are OK.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: jkid

ORIGINAL: DeepBlueWater

I like to use a bit of di-electric grease on my contacts to make a good connection and keep them dry if water gets in there. I seem to remember the Mag wire instructions saying not to use it to reduce the chance of the plugs popping off. I'm pretty sure I used grease on my mags though and all is fine. Maybe check your plugs for water???
I also use the di-electric and always have with no problems, and I like no problems.

Quick Reply: Popped codes in deep-ish water...