Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping Noise - Both Front Doors

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:19 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping Noise - Both Front Doors

Hello,

I'm new to the forum - glad to be here!

I bought a Discovery II (2000, 113K miles) a couple of weeks ago and am trying to work on some things to get it up to shape.

One annoying problem I have is a popping noise when opening and closing both front doors. Obviously not a problem related to performance, but just very annoying whenever entering and exiting the vehicle. An LR mechanic told me that something needs to be welded, but that the door would "look like ****" afterward because the paint would burn off. Anyone know of any easy fix to this one?

I searched the forum, but was not able to find a direct answer to this one (apologies if I made a newby mistake in searching).

Old 06-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be just a lack of lubrication on the door check mechanisms, look on the inside where the door hinges are and you will see an "arm" coming out that attaches to the body with a pin. Spray some lube on it and also into the hole in the door where it retracts into. You may have to do this a number of times (working the door back and forth a lot). I've done this on a number of doors. It's possible that the check mechanism is coming loose from the door but I'd try lubing it before I started considering welding something (or having someone else weld on it).

Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts
Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM
6th Gear

Thanks, guys, for the reply. Don't think it has anything to do with the actual door handle or door-check mechanism. The noise seems to be coming from towards the bottom of the door as it swings back/forth as it is opening/closing.

Will try out the lube solution, but want to check whether there is a standard way to fix these things -- the LR mechanic I went to made it sound like a common enough problem but the welding solution doesn't make sense to me (another guy tried to sell me on replacing the entire door).

Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling

You might want to remove the door panel and look inside with a flashlight as you are opening and closing the door. It does sound a lot like a check strap though. Btw, it is not common to have to weld something inside the door.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

My money is on the door checks not being lubed forever.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem on one of my front doors. The hinges don't make that kind of noise and the only other part is the small flat rod that gives the door tension and keeps it open. That piece is welded to the body and it is hard to tell that it has actually come loose. The only fix is to weld it. I found a local welder who charged me 20 bucks to throw a bead back on it. It will definately burn some of the paint but it can be touched up pretty easily and trust me, you never look at anyway.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Front door check strap attachment?

So like charlestonwb said, it's not the doors that might need welded, it's the body. What funny is that my 03 has parts that look like the pictures in that link. My 99 has a completely different attachment at the body, it looks all external, like it's bolted or riveted to the door jamb.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:50 AM
2nd Gear
Default Welding Door A pillar post

charlestonwb Did you have to take your ECU out when the welding was done on your door A pillar Post or was it enough to disconnect the battery so as not to damage the electronics?

Thanks

Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't mind the noise, reminds me of the door check mechanisms on the Triumph Tr6's and Spitfires which if they didn't make that click noise meant they weren't working and welding was in order, funny how some things on these trucks harken back to the classic british iron.

Quick Reply: Popping Noise - Both Front Doors