Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping Noise - Both Front Doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Cool

well ....fwiw...on my D2...the prev owner had installed a small bolt in the door check strap where it attaches to the body ....and when ever the door is moved ....it "pops".loudly.....the correct size bolt or original pin will quiet it down if that's the issue...

Old 09-13-2014, 08:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by rayxlee
Thanks, guys, for the reply. Don't think it has anything to do with the actual door handle or door-check mechanism. The noise seems to be coming from towards the bottom of the door as it swings back/forth as it is opening/closing.

Will try out the lube solution, but want to check whether there is a standard way to fix these things -- the LR mechanic I went to made it sound like a common enough problem but the welding solution doesn't make sense to me (another guy tried to sell me on replacing the entire door).
My driver and my parts truck both do this. I thought it was normal. Looks like I'll be lubing my doors soon. Thanks for making this thread!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:30 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did this as well. Noise was caused by the spring pin holding the door swing preventer to the body. Seems the spring in the preventer is strong, combined with play in the spring pin bore makes this snapping noise.

Right or Wrong...I hammered the pins down and the noise went away. Not sure if the spring pins are tapered and therefore suitable for hammering down or not?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Runner
Mine did this as well. Noise was caused by the spring pin holding the door swing preventer to the body. Seems the spring in the preventer is strong, combined with play in the spring pin bore makes this snapping noise.

Right or Wrong...I hammered the pins down and the noise went away. Not sure if the spring pins are tapered and therefore suitable for hammering down or not?

Just did the same thing with my drivers door.....hammered the pin down and the noise, at least for now, is gone