Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping sound

I have a 2001 D2, and started noticing a popping sound in the rear when I would back up and pull out. Now, when I get up to about 50 mph, I can feel the same thing, usually 3-4 pops at a time. (pop, pop, pop........pop, pop, pop..., etc.)

I've never felt this before and my gut reaction in rear u-joint, but wondered if anybody else has ever had a similar problem.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Instead of asking us first, get under the truck and see what you can find, makes it a lot easier for us.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Well, I kind of feel like I just had a doctor tell me to go home, draw my own blood, look at it under a microscope, and come back and tell me what you see.

Seriously, I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not a mechanic, and that I'm a new owner. I love crawling underneath it and looking around, but I'm afraid that my eye isn't anywhere keen enough to tell you much. Was hoping that the description might ring one of those "common problem" bells. I had one guy tell me that it was "just a Land Rover thing" and not to worry about it. Somehow, I doubt that I should heed his advise.

Again, it feels and sounds like what I would suspect a rear u-joint problem to feel like. It needs balanced, so I'm used to it shaking at 50 mph +, and had planned on getting that done this weekend, but today is the first time that I noticed the pop or thunk sound while driving at that speed. Up until now, it's just been when pulling out.

U-joint? Drive shaft?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Administrator

You think you have it hard, with have little or no information and are at a bigger disadvantage.
Do you know how to look a drive shaft, bushings and a vehicle and see if something looks wrong.
In your case, look at the rear drive shaft where it hooks to the diff, see the rubber ring, are there large cracks between the 6 bolts? How about your suspension, shocks and coils, is anything loose?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Winching

x2 what mike said. Look for anything lose or binding. Use your hands. Get dirty.

________
Buy Easy Vape

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

make sure you have oil in the diff.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

driveshaft can thunp any time you step on the gas if you are moving or not. check the rotoflex as well.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Drifting

It's not the rear u-joint. I noticed it doing it when I turned the wheel, and then was actually able to make it do it by rocking the vehicle side to side.

It looks to be the top bushing on the Watts Linkage. I can look up and actually see it popping.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WindrockRover
Well, I kind of feel like I just had a doctor tell me to go home, draw my own blood, look at it under a microscope, and come back and tell me what you see.

Hey in RoverLand you're the doc, surgeon, nurse practitioner, hazmat crew, and PCA. That is, unless you actually ARE a doctor and make huge sums of dough.

Originally Posted by WindrockRover
It's not the rear u-joint. I noticed it doing it when I turned the wheel, and then was actually able to make it do it by rocking the vehicle side to side.

It looks to be the top bushing on the Watts Linkage. I can look up and actually see it popping.
And there you have it, exactly what Mike was referring to. Welcome to the wrenching rover fan club, it'll be good to have you around, you sound like you know what you're doing. Just took a loving boot to the hiney to bring it out of ya.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator

So it is time to quit writing about it and go see a good mechanic before something breaks costing you big time.
Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Popping sound