Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping sound when turning sharp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping sound when turning sharp?

Went off roadin last week, after I finished I reversed into a tight turn and heard a loud pop. Ever since then when turning seems like my wheels are skipping over themselves, if that makes sence, and popping sounds. I'm thinking Tie rod ends, but would like to hear from the expertise on this site.?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

And you bought what the dealer told you, that is amazing.
Have you crawled under the truck yet to look for tie rods ends, bushings or a broken coil, if so that is where you need to start.
At your mileage, you can have anything going on.
By the way, have you verified if your front drive shaft has been rebuilt or replaced yet, to prevent it from failing and taking the tranny with it?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Mudding

Ya to be honest I don't know what it is. I just remember that my ford did the same thing when in 4by. I took a look under have done some of the major service you put up. I checked my front drive shaft. On the end connecting to tranny there are no grease nipples but there is on the other end, 2 of them one in the u joint and one where the shaft connects to the u joint. As u can probably tell I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I can still hold my own. I work on a drilling rig so I know what its like to have to be constantly maintaining **** like a Discovery seems to be..

This isn;t a major problem I don't think... Drivability is still good just when turning sharp it seems off... Springs are good all the boots are good, other than that Idk.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Disco Mike, please allow me.

1. The drivehaft your truck has, needs to be rebuilt or replaced. If you choose replacement, get one with greaseable u-joints. There are multiple threads on this site detailing what will happen if you keep driving it in that condition. the driveshaft will sanp and you will lose the transmission in the process.

2. Checked your tie rod ends. And ball joints. One is probably busted somewhere.

3. If you want the service engine light off, you need to have the codes read. You could have hundreds of potential problems, but we wont be able to help if we dont have a code to point you in the right direction.

4. If your ABS, TC and HDC lights are on at the same time, please find someone with an ABS amigo to have those codes read. There are also multiple threads on here detail which codes need what repairs. There is an entire sticky on it.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
cdm
Drifting

ball joints! i have the same thing + a pop when brakes are released as the spindle shifts. one of mine is just gone.. dry and no rubber in sight so it pops and clunks under all angles.

such a nightmare to replace too. oh well. soon.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Mudding

K thanks for the info. I'll get right on it, the drive shaft that is. And the other recemendations too. I guess it must be frustrating when asked over and over the same questions.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 AM
Mudding

Also gonna pick up an obd2 reader. Asap

Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 AM
cdm
Drifting

Originally Posted by kman35ca
Also gonna pick up an obd2 reader. Asap
pick a scangauge.

cheaper than most readers and 500x more useful. and it can read and clear codes as well.

i use mine mainly for coolant temp in real time. the gauge on the dash is preset and not live. it only moves when certain temps are reached and thats a bad thing for an all alum engine lol