Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:59 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts
Default Possible alignment issue

To make a short story long I recently backed into the concrete footing for a black light pole in a dark parking lot after work one night, the light on the pole was actually not on... So it was like 10 feet behind me and I wasn't going fast... The spare tire took most of the hit but it hit the bumper enough to crack the plastic cover... I may have been turning a bit too...

Now the truck acts squirrely on the road, seems oddly bouncy in a tweeky way, kind of like the shocks suddenly wore out... also on the highway at speed if I hit a rut in the pavement, the kind worn in from years of use, the tires grab that rut and toss the truck across the lane. It takes immediate correction or I'd be in the next lane.

I've never had this type handling issue before, does this sound like my alignment is out of whack? The only other thing is my steering stabilizer is old so I don't really know the symptom of that either, Front shocks also old but those things didn't seem to be an issue before this incident.

If it is an alignment issue what do I need to look for in a shop and how much should I expect to pay... Anything Rover specific to be aware of at the alignment shop?

Old 07-21-2018, 11:49 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
To make a short story long I recently backed into the concrete footing for a black light pole in a dark parking lot after work one night, the light on the pole was actually not on... So it was like 10 feet behind me and I wasn't going fast... The spare tire took most of the hit but it hit the bumper enough to crack the plastic cover... I may have been turning a bit too...

Now the truck acts squirrely on the road, seems oddly bouncy in a tweeky way, kind of like the shocks suddenly wore out... also on the highway at speed if I hit a rut in the pavement, the kind worn in from years of use, the tires grab that rut and toss the truck across the lane. It takes immediate correction or I'd be in the next lane.

I've never had this type handling issue before, does this sound like my alignment is out of whack? The only other thing is my steering stabilizer is old so I don't really know the symptom of that either, Front shocks also old but those things didn't seem to be an issue before this incident.

If it is an alignment issue what do I need to look for in a shop and how much should I expect to pay... Anything Rover specific to be aware of at the alignment shop?
I only know that alignment here starts at $90.00. Any shop that have the machine should be able to do it. But I think your problem is at the front end and all you have mentioned needed to be checked specially the steering components.