Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to fit better brake componets from a different model/make?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Is it possible to fit better brake componets from a different model/make?

If this has been discussed and I missed it then my apologies. But Im seriously wondering if it is possible to take calipers rotors and pads from a different make and model vehicle and fit them to a Disco 2? I bet the size of the caliper could create potential issues but I cant help but think there are better brake systems out there, fitted on other vehicles that are of a similar size and dimensions.

I realize that our abs sensors are very sensitive (arent they all though) so would the computers on board be able to detect an issue if you installed a foreign caliper rotor and pad? My inquiry is motivated solely by my desire to have much better braking. Ive replaced most of the brake componets on my truck with all new parts (brake booster servo, brake master cylinder, all 4 calipers, brake light switch, rear brake tail lights) and i upgraded to drilled slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I do have 3" SS brake lines but there are not installed yet and I really dont believe they will make a noticeable difference in my trucks braking.

What issues might one face while trying to fit brakes from another vehicle to a D2? Thanks.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

A big brake kit for the disco 2 would be of real interest to quite a number of people including myself. So far all I've seen are rotor and pad upgrades like you've already done.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

On the D1 we used to swap over the defender brake parts. For our D2 they actually have pretty good factory brakes. Also, you will notice a big difference when you install the SS lines.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:13 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms
On the D1 we used to swap over the defender brake parts. For our D2 they actually have pretty good factory brakes. Also, you will notice a big difference when you install the SS lines.
Your not the first person to make a reference to the use of Defender brake parts on a Disco. I assumed the brakes on the Defender were primitive even on the newest version.... if i was to consider this option which Defender year should I get the brake parts from?

Ive also heard someone mention the use of P38 brake parts on a D2. Some people say that everything put into the RR was "grade A" and everything put onto the Discovery was "Grade B".

Old 11-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

He's referring to Disco 1s where you could switch over to the vented Defender style. D2 to Defender would be a downgrade.

The following users liked this post:
DustyLBottoms (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 12:18 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
He's referring to Disco 1s where you could switch over to the vented Defender style. D2 to Defender would be a downgrade.
Even if the brakes were from say a 2013 Defender?
What about a P38 RR or the MK3 RR?

Old 11-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Remember that tires play an important function in initial braking distance and feel. Large MT tires are not the best for (dry) highway braking, no matter how good your pads or rotors are.

Obviously, the tire difference fades after repeated braking, as on a downhill run.

I think someone on the D1 forums installed a GM hydoboost master cylinder, they said it made a big difference on brake feel.

I think the issue you run into here is that most pad/rotor/caliper upgrades are going to require larger diameter wheels. This if course is the opposite direction a lot of people are going, with steel NATO style wheels and MT tires being desired over 19-20 inch rims.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:36 PM
TReK

Some people are suggesting that my ceramic brake pads are part of the problem. I got them because they had good all around reviews as being a superior brake pad and I dont like cleaning off all the brake dust every week. Is there another type of brake pad I should consider? I may look into tha hydobooster though. I want my truck to "stop like a boss" ^^

Old 11-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm using the ceramic brake pads on the front. I have standard auto parts store pads on the rear. I think what you object to is the feel of the brake pedal. I must admit that my brake pedal feels different than other vehicle I have owned or drive and requires some getting used to the difference. That said, I've never been in a situation where I didn't think my brakes would do what I asked of them. If I drive my wife's car I have to modify the way I step on the pedal. I could be wrong, but I think they work fine and it's just a matter of feel. Keep your brake components in top shape and put your money somewhere else on the truck.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Basically....push the pedal harder.

The following users liked this post:
jafir (11-07-2014)

Quick Reply: Is it possible to fit better brake componets from a different model/make?