Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible head gasket redo

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default possible head gasket redo

Had a small mishap, (owners fault) and forgot to check my coolant/H2O ratio before it dipped down to -10 degrees the other night. I started the disco and the temp gauge in the dash light came on. I immediately knew I had a problem and a frozen system. (I do have an ultra gauge installed) so I did not over heat the truck. I had it towed to a local garage just so they could thaw it out and put new coolant in, it still had the old orange in it. So I thought to just have them do a coolant flush since they were thawing it out. They said they ran a block test with dye and it came out yellow saying it's probably a bad HG. I'm wondering what are the chances of this happening since I let it freeze overnight or if it was an existing problem. I've never had any signs of a bad HG. Just curious on it. Have about 125K miles on it, have never overheated the truck either. But I've read plenty that if you haven't replaced the HG, you will at some point in owning a disco.

2004 Disco II

Old 01-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

just call it a coincidence

Old 01-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Mudding

seriously though, freezing the block, is that a for sure way to screw up the HG?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Mudding

I did have a couple of codes a month ago, 1319 and a 307. Never looked into them. I just read on another thread that 304 and 307 are possible codes for the HG. I digress.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

you can do all kinds of cool junk by freezing it. at best you can thaw and go or pop freeze plugs, that is not the main point of core plugs and it doesn't mean it will save an engine. you can bust lines. you can crack cores. ruin radiators, you can crack anything that has the expansion in it (passages....especially thin wall passages). with the test coming back positive....freezing may not definitely be the cause of head gasket failure......not to be a worry wart but I would cross my fingers and hope that a head gasket is the issue. good luck. I hope you only have a small mishap. usually needs some prolonged exposure to freezing before you get into the really good stuff

Old 01-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Mudding

Thanks Dusty,

That all makes sense on any lines carrying water through them on the expansion. I'll hope for the best, picking it up in 1/2 hour, so I'll see if it runs any different than prior to all this.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Mudding

PS, they ran a pressure check on the cooling system, so I'm assuming I didn't bust anything there...hopefully.Other than a leak they found at the WP and sensor, which takes me back to last summer adding some water here and there, then forgetting about it when winter came. I need a cockpunch.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

that's good...and here you go

Old 01-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Mudding

The ****tards down at the shop said it's not running right at operating temps and that it starts hard. Since I know my disco like my palm, it runs fine and doesn't start any differently than before. So they give me a $4K estimate with all this **** that needs replaced. whateves. I'll keep driving it until I see other symptons. Too boot, I checked the coolant res and it's about 3 inches below the cold mark and it looks clear. Do they make clear coolant these days? I suppose I need to get a coolant temp dipstick and make sure I'm covered for the below 0 temps we're having.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

yeah they make the best coolant in clear, its water. you already found that. however they do not make antifreeze in clear.

Quick Reply: possible head gasket redo