Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible that my engine "tick" is gone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It depends on what was causing the tick, changes in temp can cause things to make noise or stop making noise.
Alot of guys have reported the notorious tick, drove it like they stole it while towing a 5,000lbs boat for 4 hours, tick went away, drove like a normal person for a month and the noise came back.
Drove like a mad man...gone.
Lowering the engine temp can cure the tick, if things are getting loose because of higher temp's then lower temps can stop that.
You already said that it did not tick until fully warmed up, now you installed a colder t-stat so it is not getting as hot thus no tick.
Dont worry about it, it will drive you into the looney bin.
Oil light not coming on? Runs fine? Drive the damn thing and be happy.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:09 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
It depends on what was causing the tick, changes in temp can cause things to make noise or stop making noise.
Alot of guys have reported the notorious tick, drove it like they stole it while towing a 5,000lbs boat for 4 hours, tick went away, drove like a normal person for a month and the noise came back.
Drove like a mad man...gone.
Lowering the engine temp can cure the tick, if things are getting loose because of higher temp's then lower temps can stop that.
You already said that it did not tick until fully warmed up, now you installed a colder t-stat so it is not getting as hot thus no tick.
Dont worry about it, it will drive you into the looney bin.
Oil light not coming on? Runs fine? Drive the damn thing and be happy.
I agree with Spike. Yes even my 04 Disco has a tick, but its always been maintained on time by Land Rover. But seeing all the paranoia about the notorious engine tick has left me on the edge lately - take Spikes advice "Oil light not coming on? Runs fine? Drive the damn thing and be happy."