Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new Disco owner? (Jeep convert)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new Disco owner? (Jeep convert)

So I've been a pretty hardcore Jeep guy for a long time now, but my current rig is getting a little tired (lifted '98 XJ with 207k miles).

So yesterday I came across what seems to be a great deal on a 2004 Discovery SE7. It has 117k ish miles, and drives beautifully compared to my old jeep. The interior is also nicer than my house, which is a definite upgrade as well.

I've been doing a lot of reading here, and seem to have a grasp on some of the issues that are present with these rigs, and have compiled a pretty detailed checklist of what to look at. I've also already downloaded the service manual available, and have been skimming through that and trying to soak up as much as I can about the rig.

One thing that kind of has me worried is the reliability of the Discovery's, and Land Rovers in general. I am a A&P mechanic, and very competent wrenching on vehicles that don't fly as well, but I would really rather not have to worry about the truck leaving me stuck on the side of the road. I had enough of that with my previous Wrangler . I am also a little concerned with the cost, and availability of parts. How do maintenance costs compare to a similar domestic SUV, assuming I do all my own work?

Maybe I've heard one too many internet horror stories, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...

Another issue I want clarification on is the Premium fuel requirement. How necessary is it to run 91 octane in these? To me, it doesn't make sense to need that high of an octane in a vehicle with a V8 with less than stellar HP and torque numbers. Is there something with the fuel injection system that requires the higher octane? Will bad things happen if I run 87, or 89 octane?

I appreciate any input you guys can provide, and am looking forward to being a contributing member to this site.

Here a are few pic of the possible new ride (try to ignore the dust):

Name:  100_2248.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  100_2249.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  154.9 KB

Name:  100_2245.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  100_2244.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  148.3 KB

Name:  100_2247.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  118.1 KB

Old 10-18-2010, 05:28 AM
Mudding

Not a bad looking truck, definitely some potential there. From the looks of the tires, this was just a 'mall crawler' so she probably hasn't been abused too much. Did you get under the hood or underneath? I noticed quite a bit of rust on the guards; I am curious what it looks like under there....

You also didn't mention what they were asking...

Old 10-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Mudding
Default You're perfect for a LR...

I used to be a UH-1H/V mechanic back in the day...

...and believe me it has helped!

Parts, very easy to find once you learn the key suppliers.

91 octane: if I understand correctly (I have not seen the diagrams) the requirement has something to do with the angle at which the spark plug addresses the fuel in the cylinder...it seems that the fuel distribution in the cylinder maybe isn't ideal (old design) and results in non-optimal combustion with lower octane fuels...hence the need for higher octane...but hey I am just parroting what I have heard...not sure the truth in it.

I have 182k on mine...and all of the duct tape is still holding...I think it's one of the few modern trucks that you can still do bush medicine on so enjoy the new truck

Shannon

Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Disco Mike's 60K checklist will get you there. I have had mine for 4 wonderful years and never had to do any more than the routine stuff. And yeah it is premium ONLY, unless you don't want reliability and want huge repair bills.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

its a great top of line 04' disco 2. you need to run 91+ octane or you will slowly destroy the engine from the inside out. depending on mileage i would pay between $8k-$12k for that truck. Does it have an extended warranty on it?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you dont run premium you will lose 10-15% in MPG and you will sludge up the engine and it will grenade.
Keep in mind if you are in the middle of Knowheresville and all they have is 87 octane use it, but premium is a must.
And keep in mind that 20 gals of premium VS regular will only cost you a few dollars more. (25 gal tank, low fuel light comes on with around 5 gal left)
Parts are not that expensive if you know where to look, most parts cannot be had at AutoZone so you need to order online and plan ahead.
I would carry a spare crank position sensor and a spare brake light switch in the glove box as well as a small cheap tool kit, other than a coolant leak or bad fuel pump those are the two things that will leave you stranded on the side of the road and both can be replaced on the side of the road.
Crank sensor is ~$60, brake switch is ~$30.

If you want a more reliable Land Rover then get a DI.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling

The rust on the brush guards scared me a bit first, but once I got to crawiling around underneath it, I wasn't worried any more. Theres nothing more than a bit of surface rust on the frame rails and control arms. The springs, shocks, and body mounts are all good to go.

The real kicker for this rig is they only want $6500 for it. The dealership got it in on a trade, and hasn't done anything with it. Also since one of my best friend's dads owns the place, they're willing to sell it to me for what they have in it.

Edit:

Since I frequent a lot of areas with gas stations that only carry 87 octane, would it be acceptable to keep some octane booster in the truck in case I need to fill up with lower grade gas? I've always been kind of skeptical of the octane boosters you find in gas stations.

Last edited by tuck; 10-18-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The brush guard rusts from the inside out, 4 bolts hold it on, take it off clean it up and paint it.
It will last many many more years if you do that.
It has the 18" rims so that will be a issue if you are looking to actually take it off road as well as be a issue when you buy new rubber anyway.
18" tires cost more and they really limit what you can buy in a A/T or M/T.
Keep your eye open on Craig's List for a set of 16" DII or P-38 Range Rover rims.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

thats a great price for that truck! like what spike said you need 16" rims if you plan on going off-road. as for gas i would honestly try and stick with filling it up with 91+ when you can, or use 87 to get you back to an area that you can fill it with 91+. personally I wouldnt' try using 87 with octane booster as a regular diet for my rig.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Discos are great trucks, but the engine is no where as tough or reliable as the Jeep 4.0L. What kind of problems did you have with yours?

Quick Reply: Possible new Disco owner? (Jeep convert)