Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly Acquiring a D2

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017 | 04:36 PM
|
3rd Gear
Default Possibly Acquiring a D2

My brother's 16th birthday is fast approaching, and to celebrate I thought I might get him a Discovery as a first rig. There is an 01 D2 just a couple miles away with decent interior, and I'm planning on Raptor painting it to match my D110. The owner is open to a trade, so I believe I can get it without paying out of pocket. The bad news is it's transmission is going out and has been removed and is in the trunk. The previous owner had tried to fit a Range Rover transmission, so now it has two transmissions in the trunk. It has 124k miles and needs some serious tlc. (Prop shaft rebuild, definitely a tune up and a detail with a pressure washer)
Does anyone have and comments or concerns when getting a D2? Does anyone have a tranny they want to sell? Is this going to be a money pit, or should I get it and roll the dice?
I live in Eugene, OR, so if anyone is in the area and wants to look at it and maybe point me in the right direction, I would be stoked.
p.s. It has a clean title.

Last edited by Cole; 07-01-2017 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Little more info
Old 07-01-2017 | 06:32 PM
TReK

If you really hate you brother and want to teach him a big life lesson.... then buy this BOX! Then watch the tears flow!!!!
IMHO, keep looking and find a DII that's in good/decent condition and make a fun project out of it.
If you go the other way it's just going to be a HUGE PITA!

So "if" this is the truck https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/6180256933.html , the guy wants scrap value for a non-running DII. I know you mentioned it has no Trans, but I just like the line from the seller..." I have already taken out the old one so you will just have to purchase and put the new one in.". Oh is that all, what a nice guy. I'd pass, you can find much better.

Good Luck!

Last edited by OverRover; 07-01-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2017 | 07:23 PM
|
3rd Gear

That is the truck. The owner offered to trade for a laptop I'm not using. If you don't think repairing it is a good idea, I might end up getting it for parts later on. The laptop isn't worth anything to me so it's a good bargain imho.

Old 07-01-2017 | 07:32 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Cole
That is the truck. The owner offered to trade for a laptop I'm not using. If you don't think repairing it is a good idea, I might end up getting it for parts later on. The laptop isn't worth anything to me so it's a good bargain imho.

If you have a place to store/park it, and it's free...then why not. You can always call a wrecker to remove it off your property (like the seller is about to do).
You'll be fine if you are very realistic with the budget for repairs. Don't fall in love with it and know when/if to pull the plug. Keep in mind a decent DII will drain your wallet, this one can do it 100X faster. I do hope this truck turns out to be a good one...Have fun!!!!

Old 07-01-2017 | 09:56 PM
|
3rd Gear

Thanks Over, I'll sleep on it and make sure I set a hard budget for when to pull the plug. Is it better to reserve the D2 for trips and off-road only, or will it make an ok daily? Even if I pass on this rig, I think he'll love a disco. I just don't want to see him run a rig into the ground from daily use.

Old 07-01-2017 | 10:32 PM
TReK

A DII can be a fine DD, but for a 16yr old maybe not so much. A LR and really most trucks are not inexpensive to fix. If he or you can afford to have it fixed or fix it yourself then ok. But remember he still going to drive it "like a 16 yr old".

My 2 cents, IMHO 95% of pre-owned LRs are lacking even basic maintenance/service (and forget the larger repairs like a HG). And the reason is most owners don't do their own repairs and then get a huge invoice shock when they take a LR to a shop or dealer. So most choose to do nothing or they take the cheapest estimate and get F'd.
Just a word of advise if you are going to pay ANY money for a LR, get it looked at by a Indy LR mechanic that you trust first. The biggest mistake you can make is selling yourself on any vehicle.

You'll make the right decision....Good Luck!

Old 07-02-2017 | 08:57 AM
Mudding

Where is a 16 year old going to get the money to keep gas in it?

Old 07-02-2017 | 10:15 AM

Can you get an obdII reader on it? Maintenance history?

It would suck to sort the transmission and end up with a basket case for an engine.

Then again, you could pull the engine, and your son could rebuild it, and learn a ton about the truck. Or you could get a new engine.

I would be skeptical on getting a transmission in, and having a motor that runs like a top. On the other hand, if you guys like to do projects it sounds like a candidate for that.